"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015

 Most years I host Thanksgiving.  (Actually, I house Thanksgiving most years!  I usually do more cleaning and setting up than cooking!)  However, since I did not have a crowd at my house this year, I talked my girls into running the Turkey Trot with me!

It was COLD, as in 14*.  We nearly skipped it.  But I am sure glad we did not!  It was fun.

Sierra has not run since cross country in 8th grade.  Yep!  That was 2 years ago!  But she willed herself to run every step of the Turkey Day 5K.  She is one tough bird! (pun intended, lol!)

Brenna quickly tired of the slow pace Sierra and I chose, and she raced ahead.  Sierra and I poked along, chatting as we went.  I told her that my Thanksgiving run tradition is to go through the alphabet and list all the things I am thankful for that begin with each letter.  She chose to share in my tradition, so we did spent the first half of the run listing the things we thank God for.  The second half of the run we listed the attributes of God we are thankful for with each letter of the alphabet.  It was a precious time of sharing my heart with my daughter.  What a blessing it was that she was not in incredible shape, so she was "stuck" at my side!

We left the race and raced home to shower, throw some food together, and head to my mom's house for lunch.

My mom is an incredible cook and an even better hostess.  It is always good to be at her home.  This year we shared the day with my parents, my brother and his family, my grandparents, and my Aunt Robin and her family.  One of the highlights of my day was sitting with my cousins, Courtenay and Caitlin, at lunch.  They were stuck talking to me, since I was the only other person over age 13 at the table, and I enjoyed the time with them so very much.  They are delightful young women.

After lunch comes naps - for the guys at least!

 After a snuggle and about 100 "neigh movies" on Grandpa Scott's IPad, Mataya joined the big guys in a long, snuggle nap!
 While the guys napped and watched football, the ladies made a few crafts.  My mom always has some sort of a surprise for us.  I have not spent an afternoon around a table of ladies chatting and crafting in years.  It was delightful.

Before we knew it, it was time for turkey sandwiches, followed by long hugs, and heading home.

I must confess, though it felt weird to not have a house full, it was nice to come home to a clean house!

It was a busy day.  A busy week.  It is a busy life.  Choosing to pause and reflect on thanksgiving matters.  A thankful heart is a peaceful heart.

And peace, His perfect peace, is perhaps the deepest desire of my heart in the midst of the busy that swirls around me.