"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Pumpkin Bars

One thing I try to do more in the fall is cook and bake.  As the school routine gets cemented and the yard work comes to a halt, I remember this amazing place called my kitchen!  One thing I look forward to making each fall is pumpkin bars.

Yesterday, for the first time, Mataya helped me!


 This is her new "cheese" smile.  Chin up with one squinty eye is her response to "smile!"
As Sierra says "It is soooo not attractive!"

She thought mixing was amazing!
 However, it did not compare to tasting the batter!

Baking is Mataya's new favorite!

So here is my very favorite pumpkin bar recipe.
(It is the ONLY thing I bake that Chad adores.  He is normally not a sweet tooth, pumpkin bars are his one exception.)

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
1 cup oil
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2T ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

Beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and oil. Combine dry ingredients and add slowly to egg mixture.  (Or just dump it all in a bowl at once and mix away! It is not as proper, but it works!)

Pour into greased 10x15 pan.  Bake 350* for 25-30 minutes.

Frost with cream cheese frosting after cool.

(FYI - I blog recipes so that some day my kids can find them.  Not even kidding!  At this point I only blog so that my kids will have a fun way to remember these days.  Food is such a part of memory that I blog recipes, too.)

Also around here lately:

 Wyatt has officially become one of the guys!  He took his first "football nap" with Grandpa Chad while his mommy worked on Sunday.
 I have nearly perfected the double baby bath.

It is funny, Krissy and Jamison were about the same age spread as Mataya and Wyatt are.  When I gave them a bath together, it felt "normal."  When I give Mataya and Wyatt a bath together, I feel like I deserve a medal. . . or a glass of wine!  Maybe my age is showing?!?  However, it is fun!  They love to splash together, and they make me laugh - that is for sure!
   I truly adore all the time I spend rocking and chasing these two!  Reading to them is my absolute favorite.
 Mataya is getting better and better with Wyatt.  (Also he keeps getting sturdier!)

Wyatt loves to jump.
He is getting close to sitting on his own.
And he laughs when Mataya plays with him.

They make my heart happy!

Sorry TayTay!  I know you will hate the nakey baby pic someday - but your smile makes me happy.

This look is totally you - joyful and a bit mischievous.
You are the most precious wild thing ever!

Lately Krissy teasingly calls you "monster" and you respond with this very grin and repeat "monsta" and laugh.

When you are being silly, I call you a turkey -to which you respond, "Gobble!  Gobble!"
And then we both laugh!

You think it is so fun to climb right into my shower with me.
You adore playdough -  it will keep you occupied for an hour!
Blocks are your other favorite.
And books!  You would read for hours and hours.
You play with your dollies like a mommy-in-the-making, shushing them and patting their backs.
You LOVE to "burp" us all and belly laugh when we pretend to burp loudly.
You love to play indoor soccer with Joshua.
You also love to clean.  When I give you your own supplies, you scrub happily!

Although I missed it, you LOVED Halloween!  Grandma and Grandpa said you wore your costume with pride and happily walked door to door gathering treats and saying thank you.  They had so very much fun with you!  And you had so much fun with them that you did not want to come near me when I returned home.  It was a very special weekend for you all!

On a not so great note, you like biting.  Ugh!  I don't even know why you bite.  Many times you are happy and playful when you go in for a "human snack."  I have yet to see you bite in a rage.  It is strange and dangerous.  You little turkey.
"Gobble! Gobble!"