"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, February 14, 2013

I Heard It on Facebook!

Yet another first for me today.

While searching for just the right photo to use for a work project, I stumbled across this photo on Facebook!



So, is it "normal" to learn your daughter is officially going to the Prom through a Facebook post?  (For the record, I thought it was fairly humorous.  But if it was a engagement or baby announcement - in that order - I would be pretty sad!)

Now I am realizing more and more that I am becoming an "oldie."  The new expectation (at least in our area) is for guys to ask girls to Prom in creative ways.  When Krissy told me she had let her boyfriend know that she would only go to Prom with him if he asked her in a cool way, I thought it was hilarious.  She expected a more exciting invitation to the Prom that I expected in a marriage proposal.  Boy did Chad have it easy!

Today was the day Reshab,Krissy's boyfriend,  decided to go for it and ask her. (In truly "classy" fashion, he did message me to ask permission to take her to the Prom first.)

He also got permission from a teacher to go into her classroom and write "Kristiana Jean Dietrich Will YOU Go To PROM With ME?" carefully, in many colors, on the board.  Then he hid the words behind a pull-down map.

(I must interject two things here.  1. The boy is BRAVE.  No one calls Krissy her legal name.  No one.  She hates it.  Well, except when he says it.  2. The teacher who "helped" is one of my BFFs.  To me that was extra special because I used to care for her kids when they were tiny.  Now she is watching over my teen.  I love that.)

He also places cookies on the desks of every student.  Krissy's had some chocolate with it.  That was her clue that Reshab might be up to something.

Anyway, eventually, for teaching purposes the teacher needed to lift up the map.

As students noticed the message they began to clap and laugh.

Reshab walked over to ask Krissy if she would attend the Prom with him.

Krissy said yes.

The class clapped again.

They took some photos.

Which ended up on Facebook.

Which I stole.

Because although Krissy may not know it, someday she will be glad I wrote down this story!

Happy Valentine's Day all!

PS - My Valentine said yes today, too!  He said YES, he will go to Ethiopia with me in May!  I am so excited!  And for the record, I think Chad may have just as nervous to tell me he will go to Ethiopia with me as Reshab was to ask Krissy to Prom!  We are going to Ethiopia. . . together!  Big, happy sigh!