"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Learning to Break Some Rules

I grew up living in the country.

And one of my Daddy'srules  made me determined to NEVER live in the country as a grown-up.

"You can only drive to town ONE time each day."

It sounds like such a good rule, but it made me crazy.  If I wanted to go out with friends, I needed to find something to do in town until our activity began.  When Chad and I went on a date, I needed to get ready in the car, which I had equipped with a butane curling iron (HA!), or find a public restroom to use.  I hated it.

As we discussed moving into the country, flashbacks of high school days spent killing time in town was THE reason I did not want to move.  Chad kept reassuring me that there was not a law against driving to town more than once a day, and that "it" would not be so bad!

The first months we lived here, I followed my high school routine.  Unless I knew I would be home for more than 2 hours, I tried to find things to do in town between activities.  And just like in high school, I was longing to be HOME more.

In the last two weeks, I finally decided that I needed to just LIVE.  If I want to drive home, I drive home.  And I have discovered that I am much happier.  I have also had happier kids!  (Sitting in the car waiting for Jay to get done running is not exactly fun!)

The moral of my story, sometimes grown-ups have to learn to make their own rules.

My daddy's rule made sense to him.  It helped our family budget out a bunch.  It also made a high school driver think twice before burning up gas.  I can understand why it was important to him.

However, learning to break a rule that does not work with my current life style has been life changing to me!  It has made me think about other "rules" I hold onto for unknown reasons.  Many of those "rules" are good, but maybe there are more that I need to let go of in order to improve my own life?

Hmmm.

I better keep processing that thought!