"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Her First Week

 Words can not express how much I am enjoying this baby.  In many ways I feel like a first time mom.  I am just so in awe of her.  I spend hours snuggling her, watching her sleep, and simply soaking her in.  On the flip side, I am NOT a first time mom.  I have 18 years (yikes!) experience at mothering.  And that, too, is an advantage.  I am calmer, less overwhelmed, more confident, and more patient than I ever could be without those decades of experience!  So when Mataye wants to nurse for 45 minutes every hour and a half, I just enjoy the down time. I know it is a short-lived phase, and it is precious time that I get to spend with her. And when she sleeps best snuggled close to my heart, I am not surprised.  We shared a body for 40 weeks.  It is not surprising that during her first few weeks on her own she will feel safest swaddled next to my heart.  The other huge advantage I have this time around is that I have a lot more help!  On Sunday, we got the entire house cleaned and groceries purchased in just a couple of hours by each doing just a couple of chores each.  Day to day, Chad and Krissy, along with my parents have taken care of all the carpooling needs.  I have not left the house since bringing Mataya home from the hospital, and I have rarely been more content.
 The possible down-side of being a well experienced mom is that I am all too aware of how fleeting these newborn moments are.  I am savoring each moment.  And in all honesty, I am a bit of an overprotective momma bear.  I do not enjoy sharing her. . . at all.  Sometimes I even struggle with letting her siblings hold her.  I just do not want to give up a moment, and I am well aware that in 11 weeks I will be heading back to work.

So. . . don't be insulted if I do not offer to let you hold my baby.  Soon she will be big enough to seek you out, and I will not deny her.  For these moments, though, I am choosing to hold her close almost all the time.

 Brenna and Mataya have a special after school routine.

While I get supper together, Brenna gets Mataya time.  Since Brenna is the only sibling home from 4 to 5, she has uninterrupted and unrestricted access to her baby sis.  They snuggle up together on the couch for some TV time.

 Joshua adores the baby.  Though he is shocked by how much time she spends eating, he has learned to come into my bedroom and chat with me there.  He is convinced that he is her favorite.  He has shown no jealousy or frustration at all.  He has even headed out the door to school each day without complaint, even though he knows I am home.  I am so impressed with how he has handled this transition.  He has certainly come a looooong way!

The only thing he does not like is that his "pillow" (aka the baby bump) is getting smaller each day.  He checks my tummy every day and complains that I am not as comfy to cuddle with any more.  He makes me laugh.  
 Sierra adores the baby - but she gets pretty nervous if Mataya fusses at all.  Mataya is a very serene baby.  I have yet to hear her "red line" cry.  She has fussed very, very little.  It is a good thing, too, for a fussy sister would break sweet Sierra's heart!
 Krissy simply adores the baby.  I am so very thankful!  It is risky for Krissy to fall for this tiny sister as she is preparing her own heart to move away.  It will make leaving a bit harder - but love is always worth the risk.
I joke that Chad and Krissy are on my "short list."  They are the only ones that I am not tempted to snatch my baby away from after she has been with them for more than a couple of minutes.  They are both amazing with her, too.  Krissy is so patient, calm, and gentle.

And Chad. . .

I have never seen him quite this smitten with a newborn.

And she adores him.  When he holds her, she snuggles in and goes right to sleep.  That does not surprise me.  Throughout my pregnancy, if she was kicking like crazy, Daddy's big, gentle hand on my belly soothed her.  Her reaction to him now is equally sweet.

Other things we have learned about this tiny one:

  • She loves a foot massage.  For real!  After a sponge bath when she is fussing, lotion rubbed on her feet instantly calms her.  
  • You can hear her fill her diaper from across the room.  We tease Jamison that she gets this from him.
  • She loves to be snuggled close.  And yep.  We are spoiling her big time.  She is rarely put down.
  • Not much upsets her for long.  Even the nurses at the hospital commented on how quick she is to calm down.  
  • She can not be rushed.  Nursing takes at least 45 minutes.  And is repeated every 1.5 to 2 hours.  She did sleep for 5 hours straight last night, however, only to wake and nurse for about an hour every hour this morning.  It is all good.  I have gotten lots of naps and one whole novel read this week.  I'm loving the snuggles!