"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, March 21, 2014

Welcome to the Family, Mataya Hope.

 Mataya Hope was born at 4:56 pm on March 18, and from the very moment she was placed on my chest, the entire focus of the hospital staff was having us ready for the kids to come see ASAP.

I had an absolutely wonderful labor and delivery nurse, Kami, who had been laughing all day as Sierra texted,  "is she here yet?"  Kami was determined that nothing would get in the way of our 5 at home meeting their baby Tuesday!

So - once she was laying on my chest, healthy and beautiful, a new race  - Operation Family Unification - began.  Kami, Chad, and I decided that the kids could arrive at 7.  And let me assure you, we were rushing things to be ready.

The hospital staff was truly amazing.  They were also a bit shocked and awed that we really had 5 kids at home, and perhaps a bit curious to see them all.  They allowed us to keep Mataya in the room from the moment she was born until after the kids arrived.  So when the kids first met their baby sister, she had not even been to the nursery at all yet.  She was diapered, but her cord had not been clipped short, she had not had a bath, and she was naked under the layers of blankets in which she was swaddled.

I am most thankful for their flexibility.  If they had been sticklers about hospital protocol the kids would have had to wait another day to meet Mataya, and they would have been devastated!  And in all honesty, the "race" was also a bit exhausting.

We had promised the kids that they would be first to meet the baby.  We vowed to not reveal her name or send anyone photos until they had met her.  With the age span of our kids, we really wanted the kids to know that they have a special place in this baby's life.  They are special and important to her in ways that no one else is.  We really felt that sibling bonding needed to come first.  


 Sierra was first to hold her.
Her comment was and is, "Oh!!! She is just so perfect!"

 Krissy keeps saying how gorgeous she is.

Though I can see traces of all the kids in her, Mataya looks most like Krissy did as an infant.  They have similar coloring in skin and hair.  

Krissy and Sierra also want to know when they can start painting her toe nails and braiding her hair.
I am so thankful for the amazing big sisters Miss Mataya has.  They will be amazing sources of inspiration and guidance for this tiny one as she grows.
 Joshua marched right into my hospital room, dashed to the sink to wash his hands, and said "let me hold my baby!"  He was so, so excited.  He had been waiting and waiting to meet her.  He was "tired of being the baby!" so her birth was more than welcome with him.

He continues to be absolutely precious with her.  He is sitting next to me as I type, snuggling her in a soft blanket, giving me play by play of her preciousness - "Mom, her nails are so tiny!  She is just so cute!  She smells so good.  How can she be so sweet? etc..."  
 Grandpa Scott had the next turn.
 Then Brenna and Grandma Donna arrived.

Brenna got one quick hold and then the nurses insisted on taking Mataya to the nursery.

I grabbed her quick and pealed back her blankets so the kids could see her newness - the cord, her wrinkles and unwashed skin.  Then the nurses took her away.
 We could see her under the warmer through the glass.

We chatted for a bit, and then Grandma and Grandpa took the kids home for bed.

At this point I was so exhausted.  I had been at the hospital since 7 am being poked and prodded.  It was about 8:15 PM at that point and my body had been through quite a bit, plus I was in desperate need of supper!  Thankfully my mom had brought that!

Chad and I headed back to the room to eat while they checked out our girl.  

Jamison had to work until 10 PM the night Mataya was born.  His boss refused his request to leave early, so we were unable to talk to Jay until 10:45 that evening.  He was really bummed to not be with us.  (Us too!) In this world of instant everything, I was feeling intense pressure to update people.  At the same time, I wanted to make sure Jamison was in the know first!  I  also desperately needed to just have a minute to breathe and enjoy.  Life has changed so much since Krissy was born!  At that time no one expected to be instantly informed of anything.  It was so much simpler!

I was finally able to talk to Jay at 10:45.  He gave us permission to send people her picture, name, etc...  though he was not able to see her until the following day.

Sleep is never peaceful at the hospital.  Between adrenaline running high, waking for feedings and vitals, uncomfortable beds, new noises, and an aching body - I did not sleep much.  I did spend quite a bit of time gazing at my baby and trying to soak her in.

 I continue to be in complete awe that she is here.

I really had a baby.
It is nearly too amazing to comprehend.

The nurses took Mataya at 6 for some tests, so I jumped in the shower - expecting a busy day.

 Grammy and Grandma Great Hoff were there to see her right away in the morning!
(They are checking out her hair!  She has some crazy beautiful locks!)
Finally Jamison arrived!

I felt so much better after he had a chance to meet his sister.
He did not balk when I placed her in his arms, though previously he has always refused to hold infants.
I think he is a bit in awe of her tiny-ness.

We were also visited by several friends and "interupted" by many doctors, nurses, lab techs, etc...

By 3:30 PM, I was watching the clock.  I was feeling totally overstimulated.  I needed to get HOME!  There is a blood test they need to wait 24 hours to do, and I was determined that we would leave at 5!

Before we headed out the door, my brother and nieces were able to take a quick peak.
 Adrianna is nearly 12 and so good with babies!  I am glad she was able to see Mataya that day.
 Lexi got some snuggles, too.

Then Grandpa, Brenna and Joshua stopped on their way to church.
In all honesty, I pretty much kicked everyone out.  I tried, and more than likely failed to be gracious, but I just HAD to get home.  I was so tired and feeling completely overstimulated by the constant commotion of it all.  I could not wait to get home.  Thankfully Chad and my nurse read me well.  They had us packed up and ready to go by a few minutes after 5:00.
 Sweet Mataya Hope is a gentle, patient, serene baby.
She was nearly as overstimulated as her momma, but when we got her buckled into her seat she went right to sleep.

Home was quiet!
Chad grilled brats for Jay, Sierra, and I.  The rest of the kids were at church.
After we ate, I grabbed my baby and hid out in my bedroom nursing her and napping.
By the time the kids came home, I felt much more human.

 There is just no place like home.

Mataya's first night at home was fairly uneventful.
Like almost all babies, she woke up about the time the rest of the family headed off to bed.
She and I slept snuggled up together.

Thursday morning Chad made breakfast and then got everyone off to school.

And then it happened. .  .

I was home all alone with my baby.

Sigh.

It was absolute perfection.

We rocked and napped and snuggled.

And that is ALL we did.

I felt totally restored by the time sweet Brenna Joy skipped off the bus at 4 with one goal in mind. . .
 let me hold Mataya!

That has become the routine.

Busy evenings filled with noise and the delightful chaos of our family

and days sent like this!

My heart is incredibly full.

The blessings of the Lord are completely overwhelming.

Welcome to our family, Mataya Hope.
We are so very thankful for you beautiful one.
So very thankful.