"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, March 24, 2014

Naming Mataya

As I confessed throughout my pregnancy, choosing this baby's name did not come quickly.  In fact, we did not choose her name until a few minutes after she was born.

I had a couple of rules when it came to her name.  It needed to end in an "a."  I needed to find significance in the meaning.  The kids had to approve.

By the time we were walking the halls in labor, we had the choices narrowed down to three names.
1. Elena/Alaina - problem being we could not agree on the spelling.  Krissy wanted it spelled Elena.  Chad and I wanted it to begin with a "A" so she could be Ali or Lainey.  It seemed the safest choice as the kids were most favorable to neutral about it, but Chad and I were not totally sold.  The meaning "Shining Light" worked.  I joked that if she was blonde it would be her name for sure, but if she were dark. . . maybe not.

2. Jada - We both liked Jada.  It means "He knew."  However I was worried that Jada Hope would sound like Jaded Hope - which is not what I wanted to convey in her name.  Additionally Joshua insisted on pretending to whip his hair back and forth (like Jada Smith's song says) every time he heard the name.  It was annoying.  I did expect this to be her name, however.  It was Chad's favorite, and he has typically had the final vote.

3. Mataya - I fell in love with the name Mataya the week of our first ultrasound.  That was a scary week.  I was up early praying for our baby, giving her back to her Father, trusting that no matter what He had a plan and He was in control.  As I prayed, I realized that no matter what, she was a gift from God.  I knew in every pore of my being that fact was true - no matter what any test said.  So I googled "names that mean Gift of God" and found Mataya.  From that moment on, she was Mataya in my heart.  I tried not to totally attach to the name, but I confess to calling her baby "TayTay" often when I talked to her.  However, as it was not Chad's favorite, I did not expect it to be her name.  We also had some disagreement as to the spelling.  It was Jamison's favorite - but he wanted to spell it Matea.  The girls thought it should be Mataya.

When she was born and laying snuggled up on my chest, Kami my nurse said, "So what is it gong to be?  What is this baby's name?"

I started to say, "I don't think we have picked yet."

While Chad softly interrupted me and said, "I think this little girl is Mataya."

I asked if he was sure.  Feeling a bit guilty for "getting my way" but also loving it.

He just nodded.

Kami grabbed the marker and started writing the name on the board in the room - perhaps before we could change our mind - and wanted to know how to spell it.  I picked Mataya, saying that our son disagreed, but it just felt right to me.

When I finally spoke to Jamison the first thing he said was "Great name, but I do not approve of the spelling!"

However, the next day I spoke with my Grandma.  She told me that Mataya is a family name.  And in that regard it was perfectly spelled.

To me it is the story and lesson of my pregnancy.
It is a foreshadowing of this little one's legacy.

Mataya Hope - God's Gift of Hope

Already my world is so much better because you are a part of it.











Thank you Jesus for this little package of precious perfection.