"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Summer is Exhausting!

Mataya crashed on the boat today.  

Summer is exhausting I tell you!

We had another fabulous weekend camping.  I truly loved every minute of it.

But once home, the race is on.  Lawn needs mowing, bills need paying, and the laundry?  oh.my.goodness. the laundry is astounding!  I have work projects, play dates, errands, "home schooling," etc. . .   

This summer has been a blast.

It has also been a struggle.  Balance in the summer is super hard for me.  During the school year I can usually get my cleaning, laundry, cooking, and errands done while the kids are in school.  When the kids are home, I try to be available for them.  We are all used to that pattern.  

This summer, I am really struggling to get my work done AND feel like I am available to my kids as much as they, and I, would like.  I feel like I am always on duty.  Always on the go.  Always in demand.  Always running behind.  Always tired.  Mowing the lawn has become my favorite chore because it is the only time I am ever alone.  

It is funny, I had been feeling like I was growing in my ability to let go of tasks and invest in what really matters.  

And I am.

However, the bar has been reset this summer - and I am struggling to grasp it.

I'm thinking it is time to throw my hands in the air and just don't care about clean floors and toilets for a while.  I will be a crazy road-tripping momma for the next two weeks.   Choosing which tasks matter and which can be ditched will be very important.  Just how long can floors go unwashed before the health department is called?  

The key to my (and my family's happiness) will be my ability to let go of perfection and just enjoy the chaos that is our life.  

I think there is a pattern forming. . . 

success is letting go, 

once again.

As Sierra often says, "Jesus take the wheel!"