"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Melkam Gena 2015

I did several things that are very unlike me today.

1. I planned a family party on the fly.

I am a planner.  If I did not have it planned when I was laying in bed praying over my day, and if it is not an emergency, it will more than likely NOT happen.  But today when I realized it was Christmas in Ethiopia, I decided a party was in order.

2. I spent all day afternoon Ethiopian food.

As to my second confession, Ethiopian food is not my favorite.  That does not mean I hate it, I enjoy it.  However, it is not my absolute favorite AND since I do not love to cook, it is not something I make very often.  (Because my Ethiopian child does not like Ethiopian food at all, I don't feel too guilty about the rarity with which we eat it.)

 I had injera in the freezer.  I made doro wat, sega wat, and shiro by myself though!

And I was SO glad I did.

 As we gathered around our table to eat all my kids were excited.  I had placed the pictures of all the children we sponsor in Ethiopia around the table.  I asked each person to pray for the child whose picture was nearest to them.  Listening to my kids pray for our Ethiopian kids was my favorite moment this entire Advent season.



The photos of each of the children that we sponsor are stuck on our back door.  We see their faces every time we enter and exit our home.  Often, I lift up a quick prayer for them as I rush out the door.  Longer prayers come as I fold laundry in the adjoining room.  I always love listening as the kids' friends ask who the kids in the pictures are.  They share often about Ethiopia and their sponsor siblings there.  

And though often gazing into their faces fills my heart with longing, right now it fills me with gratitude and excitement!  In about six weeks Sierra, Brenna, and I are heading to visit them all!  I truly can not believe it is happening.  I will finally be in Ethiopia again.  That the Lord would allow it fills me with awe and wonder, to say the least.

Brenna shared the verse she has chosen for 2016 this morning, and it could not reflect my feelings about this upcoming trip more accurately.

"Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4

It has felt like a looooooong journey for me, this return to Ethiopia.  When I left there the last time I really believed that I would be able to travel to visit the project at Jemo yearly.  My heart was on fire for the project.  I felt so very happy and fulfilled.  However, yearly travel was not to happen.  Though I still LOVE this project and support it as is appropriate, when God made it clear that my family was to move onto another church, my involvement in it became very limited.  That was one of the biggest losses I have experienced.  The partnership between that church and Jemo was something I had researched for years.  It was a dream that God had firmly planted into my heart.  I just knew it was His will.  And then as it all came together, He asked me to leave.  I was totally heartbroken and beyond confused.  Though I still do not understand, the pain has dulled.  I am not sure what He has in store for us on this upcoming trip.  And I have few expectations.  I am just running through an open door, grateful that He has allowed me this opportunity.  Whether He calls me to ministry in Ethiopia beyond sending letters to my precious sponsor children once a month, or not, I delight in Him.  Whether I am able to travel to Ethiopia ever again, or not, I delight in Him.  In Him and Him alone do I delight.

This trip is happening by His grace.
May each moment of it glorify Him.