"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Trip Plans

You all know that a part of my heart resides in Ethiopia.  And yet I have never been there just to be there.  Both times I have traveled I have had very specific agendas while there.  I have never been able to explore.

So when I received a letter from Biniam, the oldest child we sponsor AND the only one none of us have never met, which asked "when will you come?"  I decided to stop waiting for the "perfect" opportunity and just GO!

I had promised Sierra and Brenna I would get them there during 2016, one way or another.  I had been researching, trying to discover the perfect trip, and yet nothing seemed quite right.  So one day I called my friend Kristen and said, "Let's go!"  (I knew she had been wishing for someone to accompany her on a trip.  When we had spoken earlier our timing did not line up.  However, her plans were delayed, which worked perfectly for us.)

I am a planner by nature.  So to call Kristen in November and say, "How about we go in January!" was a bit out of character.  Yet, it has been so very refreshing.

My biggest reason to travel is to see our kids.  I just want to hug them, look into their eyes, tell them they are not forgotten, and kiss their cheeks.  I debated if this were reason enough to fly across the world.  It actually felt selfish at first, and then I realized we travel to see family all the time.  These children have become family.  Traveling to see them is not weird or selfish, but totally natural.

At first, seeing the kids was ALL we had planned.  And I was totally OK with that.  BUT since we said "let's go!" many doors have popped open and this trip will be more than I could have asked for, imagined, or planned.  God is so good AND always in the details.

The first surprise blessing is that we will not take a direct flight there.  We planned to purchase the cheapest tickets, which often is the direct flight.  This time it was not!  I dread that 16-19 hour flight, though I would certainly do it every time if it were my only option.  It is not a deal breaker, just not my favorite.  This time our longest flight will be 9 hours.  We fly from the States to Europe and then on to Addis Ababa.  The stop in Europe makes me SO happy!

While in Addis we will be able to stay at a guest house I have heard much about - Providence Guest House.  I have heard so much about the house manager that I feel like I am visiting a friend.  How great is that when traveling so far away?

The next blessing is that I feel free to explore Ethiopia for the first time ever.  I have been googling things to do and places to eat.  It is crazy to realize I have never done that before.  I have researched ministries, but never anything else.  Additionally since we will be with Kristen and her son Grant, we have our own personal tour guides.  I know there are things we will do with them that I would not be confident enough to do alone.  We will do some shopping, visit several locations that employ and thus empower women, tour two different schools, eat wherever we want, etc. . .  I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Although I did not know it when we booked the trip, we will be able to spend a day at Jemo working with all the children.  This makes me so happy.  Having a bit of time with those who became so precious to me three years ago is such a wonder.

I am hoping we will be able to visit the homes of several of our children at Jemo.  I have not met three of the children we sponsor there - although Chad and Jamison met them last year.  I have never met any of our children's families.  I am very, very excited about the possibility of spending some time with them.  Plus I can bring them gifts that I choose.   (Oh, the possibilities!!!)

I will have the opportunity to leave Addis and travel to the southern part of the country which is where Joshua was born.  We will stay in a beautiful hotel there.  The kids are very excited to see the wildlife of the area which includes monkeys and hippos.  I am very excited to breathe the fresh air and take it all in!

While in the south we will meet Biniam.  I am truly more excited about this than any other aspect of the trip.  It is rare for sponsors to travel to his area, so I think it will be extra special.  Additionally, I just feel in my heart that he needs some encouragement, someone to hug his neck and tell him to keep working hard - that he is loved and we truly believe in him.  We will get to see his school and meet his family.  Witnessing country life has been a longing of mine for years and years.  I am so thrilled that this is finally happening.

I am also excited because we have both medical and educational opportunities while we are there.  We will help with some flouride treatments while at Jemo.  We will also help a bit with wound care.  We may have the opportunity to tour a hospital.  These opportunities are a special blessing because Sierra's long term goal is to choose a career that could allow her to love and serve in a developing country.  She thinks of both education and medical.  Being able to see some of each is awesome!

We will also have coffee with a woman who is living in Addis as a missionary.  I am so excited that we will have the opportunity to hear of her experiences first hand AND in country.  How incredible will that be for my girls?

For Brenna I am just so very excited!  I will be able to share my love of Ethiopia with another of my girls.  I think it is very important for all of us to know that poverty is real, so very difficult, and yet beauty abounds in the midst of it.  Allowing her to see this in these tender years as she morphs from child to adult is important to me.  I am over the top grateful that God has opened these doors.  An added bonus for Brenna is that Grant, Kristen's son and her good friend, will be with us.  It will be so good to have him!

An added bonus to this trip - that is TOTALLY unexpected - is that all this planning has opened some doors to to Joshua's heart. (Separate post for those details coming soon.)

As you can imagine my heart is full and my brain in busy!  There is much to purchase and pack.  Preparing my three "men" to care for our baby brings mixed feelings.  We will be gone 9 days.  I have NEVER been gone that long.  My poor TayTay (not to mention her poor daddy and big brothers!)  And yet helpers have been found, all will be fine.  Chad is worried - BUT he is also totally supportive and very happy for me.  That is another HUGE blessing.  Knowing he has my back makes it all OK.

I'm not sure the moral of this post.  It is just joy and anticipation brimming from my soul needing to escape.  My cup truly overflows.

We leave in 16 days!  We would covet your prayers as we prepare and travel.

Just in case you are curious, here are some links to a few of the places we will check out:
Lewi Resort in Hawassa
Providence Guest House in Addis Ababa
Connected In Hope
Jemo
Sabahar
Shanto