"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Choosing Gratitude Over "Grumpitude" Day 21

Today, I am thankful that my children make me laugh.

I was once again solving the world's problems overnight - AKA not sleeping because my brain was too busy to rest - so today I am totally overtired.

I am also fairly overstimulated.  With the guys working at the house, it has been noisy and dirty.  They need me to make small choices frequently and quickly.  Work has been a flood of mini, yet important, details as well.  When my brain is this full, I have a hard time concentrating on Mataya's constant chatter.

Today, she had enough of me being distracted!

After trying to tell me something and being interrupted several times, she became frustrated.  She finally broke through my busy brain by saying, "Old lady! Listen to me please!" in the sweetest, most energetic way.

Oh my goodness, it totally cracked me up. Totally.

I often call Mataya "little lady."  I do not use it when she's in trouble, but in a playful way to get her attention.  The fact that she copied my technique, while changing the adjective to be more appropriate, blew me away.  She had no idea that "old lady" could be an insult, she just wanted me to listen to her.  The irony that I really am an "old lady" toddler mom has made me laugh out loud every time I think of it.

In addition to insulting my age, Mataya had many precious things to tell me today.
"You are the best."
"We are best friends."
"We are a team."
"I love you sooooo much mommy."

You are such a gift, Hopie girl.  God was soooo good to send you to me.  You make my heart happy.

My other giggle came today when I found this series of selfies-by-Brenna on my phone!


Brenna is my joy.  My biggest helper.  She sees what needs to be done and does it.  She has a sweet, selfless servant's heart.  She faithfully asks how she can help clean up after supper.  She steps in to help with Mataya when I am running behind.  She is the only one who knows just how I like the counters wiped off.  She bakes and cooks and joyfully helps me in all sorts of very practical ways.  

And yesterday, when she came home from school and discovered a filthy, sheetrock dust covered house and supper not yet complete, she dove right in to help.  As I scrubbed, she peeled potatoes while entertaining Mataya.  And while I scrubbed some more, she figured how to set up my new phone. . . which is how and why I found these pictures.  

Silly, cute, smart and helpful?!?  What more could I ask for?

Brenna Joy-Joy, I appreciate you more than you know.  Thank you so very much for all that you do.  I am in awe of your quiet, servant's heart.  What a blessing you are!  What an amazing blessing you are!