"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Choosing Gratitude Over "Grumpitude" Days 28-31

Lumping four days together. . . how's that for efficient?!?

Sierra and I took off on our first "college road trip" early Thursday morning.

 Although Sierra is only a junior, she has watched the "choose your college" process a few times and she knows that she likes TIME to make choices, so we started college shopping early.  I LOVE visiting college campuses.  Each one has a heartbeat all its own.  I love the energy, the enthusiasm, and the excitement of a college campus.  So many dreams are being formed.  There is a freshness and an undaunted sense of purpose.  It is such a special season of life, and walking my kids through the process of finding the school that fits their dreams and personality brings me much joy.

We visited three college campuses.  We learned so much.  The school Sierra thought was her first choice ended up being one she did not like - AT ALL!  The one that she thought she was least interested in has gone on her maybe list.  And several new schools have been added to the list of colleges she would like to visit.


Going to visit these schools gave her added confidence.  Some of the mystery is gone, and she has more understanding of what she does and does not want in a college.  Although I do not know where she will end up, I am confident she will make a great decision.

In addition to viewing colleges, we ate some yummy food, used the hotel gyms, and caught an awesome high school show while in Minneapolis.  Simon - you were amazing!  It was such a fun night!

Spending one on one time with any one of my kids is such a gift.  These days spent with Sierra will be ones I treasure always.  I am so thankful that Chad was able to take a bit of time off so that it could happen.

My dad helped out with Mataya one morning while I was away - and our spunky, little peanut got to ride horse!  She has always wanted to try riding, however when she's gotten close to the horses she has frozen up in fear.  Not this time!  This time she did it!  She was SO proud.  When she told me about it on the phone she said, "MOM!! I RODE HORSE!  I sat with grandpa and held onto the horn.  MOM!  It was SO fun!! I am so happy!"

My awesome dad snapped a couple of selfies of the event because he knows me well.  I am one spoiled girl!



We got home on Saturday just in time to party with family!  My amazing husband had cleaned, cooked, and was prepared to host his family.  It was so nice to have them here.




My last thankful thought is perfectly captured in this a photo.  It is one that I suspect will always be one of my favorites.
I can not begin to explain how much Mataya has missed Jamison this semester.  She talks about him all the time.  She makes him art projects constantly.  She practices cheering for him.  She has even started pretending he is sleeping in his room, insisting that I must be quiet so I do not wake him up.  When I remind her that he is at college, she shakes her head NO and insists he is sleeping in upstairs.  It is both sweet and heartbreaking!

Yesterday he did not have an indoor meet so he had time to come home for a bit.  Although she typically plays hard-to-get when he arrives, she missed him so much that she forgot all about that silliness.  Instead, she raced outside and met him at his truck. She climbed all over him and hugged him BIG.  When he finally got the chance to sit down, Chad captured her glee in this photo. They played chase, and catch, and hide and seek.  He loved her well, and she did the same.

Few things fill my momma heart the way my kids loving each other well does.

Without a doubt, it is relationship that makes life more beautiful.