"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, October 19, 2009

How about the other three?

As I write in this blog I am trying to guess what you are wondering. Yesterday Krissy volunteered to write about what she was thinking and feeling. I am betting you would like to hear from Jay, Sierra, and Brenna too. Well, they do not want to type so I will take a risk and let you know how I think they are doing.

I think for the most part they mirror Krissy. They are very supportive of our decision. They have a lot of questions and some concerns too. I am so thankful that they express them to us.

Krissy used the word "weird" and I guess that is a good way to describe their feelings at times. It is weird to think that I will leave on a trip and come home with a son. It is weird to think that he will not have the same genetics. Up to this point they have very little experience with "family" being anything other than a blood tie. Yet they all refer to Joshua as their brother. They never say the little boy we will adopt. To me that is a huge sign of acceptance. That makes me really proud and excited!

I think the kids' biggest concern is Joshua feeling loved and accepted. Brenna told one of her friends that she is going to have a little brother from Ethiopia. When the little girl figured out that his skin would be black, she told Brenna that will be pretty "gay." (Don't be too hard on the peanut. We live in an area where you do not see very many nontraditional families, and she is 6.) This has made us all think about what it will be like to look differently. Looking differently is sometimes hard no matter how old we are. It has been the source of some really good conversations.

I can't end this post without telling you how crazy excited Sierra is. She is always the most emotional, our cheerleader, and she is thrilled to be having a little brother. She has told the world "Sierra- style", which is sometimes a little more energetically than the rest of us are comfortable with, but I am thankful for her loving heart and enthusiasm.