"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Joshua's Ethiopian Mother

Last Sunday my brother got hurt. He fell and injured is leg. So, he called his wife and our parents for help. I was with them all when he called, only I was out of the loop because I was gabbing on my cell phone with a girlfriend. I was only on the phone for 5 minutes or so; but, by the time I hung up and refocused on what was happening around me, everyone outside of myself and my girls was gone. They were in their cars and on their way to help.

For some odd reason this whole series of events has led me to think of Joshua's Ethiopian mother. From everything I have read and all the people I have visited with, I believe that Ethiopian mothers are very much like I am. They love and value their children. They do everything they can to take care of their children. They are very nurturing. They strive to protect their children under the worst of circumstances.

I can not imagine what she has faced or is facing. I can not imagine having no one to help me, no way to make sure my child is safe and cared for. I know there is a chance that I will die before our children are grown. I also rest in the knowledge that even if I died, our children would never be orphans. We are blessed with young healthy parents, many siblings, and other family members that would step up and raise our children. What would it be like to have no one, no one to raise your child? No one to come to your rescue?

I am so blessed!