"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Picture Says 1000 Words

As a part of our adoption agreement, we promised to send post-placement reports about Joshua Gebeyehu to Ethiopia via our agency at 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and then once a year until Joshua is 18.  The first three needed to be completed by our social worker.  The remaining ones I will do myself.

Along with a status report, we are required to send photos.

It is always so hard for me to choose which photos to send.  I know that sometimes these photos miraculously end up in the hands of birth family.  Of all the moments I have caught on camera in the past months, which would be most valuable to Gebeyehu's birth relatives?  Which will make them smile?  Which will make them proud?  Which will convey our love and adoration for Gebeyehu? 

These are the photos that I sent to Ethiopia last week:

My favorite photo of Joshua in his traditional clothes.
I think he looks so handsome, healthy, and a bit mischievous!

This one just makes me smile.
Traditional clothes and dancing just go together!


Joshua's baptism day.
I do not know what significance faith holds in Joshua's birth family, but I hope this photo conveys the importance it has in our family.

Our most recent family photo
(an agency requirement)

Joshua riding bike.
This photo says "I am strong and coordinated" to me.

A photo of us reading because education holds much value  both in our home and in Ethiopian culture.

This photo was chosen because it shows brotherly love AND a very active boy.
Significant to me because my Joshua was not always agile and active!

I love the joy and excitement shown in Joshua's face as he experiences a preschool art project in this photo.

Playing in the snow! 
This has to be interesting to an African family, right?

It is my hope and prayer that these photos reach the eyes of Joshua Gebeyehu Chad's birth relatives.  With all my heart, I hope they will become a source of comfort, joy, peace, and hope.  I pray they really do speak 1000s of words.