"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Construction Update: Cabinets, Septic, and a Pretty Front Door

It was another busy week in Operation Get the House DONE!
 
 The cabinets are going in.
They are perfectly perfect.
I can hardly wait to see the finished product.
 My laundry room.
The ONLY way I could be more excited to use this room is if I had NEVER had a washer and dryer before.  I MISS my laundry room sooooooo much!  And this new laundry room is by far the nicest I have ever had. 
 This is the cute little vanity in "Joshua's" bathroom.
 
I just adore it!
 This photo is out of order.
It is the other wall in my laundry room.
The open shelving will hold hampers - one for each of us.
 
Could it be more simple, yet perfect?
 
Paul Klemetson of Klemetson Woodworks deserves all the credit for this design.
It is a momma's dream.
(and beautiful to boot!)
 Much less beautiful, but arguably more important is the septic system that Chad has been working on.  Above are the tanks.
 And these runs (if I understand correctly) make up the drain field.
 
Joshua helped, of course.
 By the time we left the house today, Chad had it all done.
Tomorrow it will be inspected.
With any luck all these pipes and tanks will soon be under dirt and put to use!
 The front door was installed this week.
It was one of the moments Chad was really looking forward to.
He fell in love with oversized African Mahogany front doors.
I did not fall in love with the price.
 
So, he searched and searched and searched, until he finally found the door he wanted at just a little more than the price I wanted.
 
We are both totally thrilled with how it came together!
 This picture is further evidence of Joshua's need to understand how everything works.
It is also evidence of just how much his daddy loves him.
 
The day we went to the house to check out the door, the guy came to clean out the porta-potty.  Joshua INSISTED he watch him work.
He even held the door while the worker sucked out the toilet.
G-R-O-S-S!
 
This weekend, my mom and I stained an unimaginably huge pile of trim.
 Chad began lacquering it today.
 I was able to get the lacquering done on the windows, so we were able to remove the plastic film,
 scrape off the bits of construction gunk.,
 and wash all the windows.
 
It sounds like no big deal, but even the kids agree that the clean windows change the whole look of the house.  I totally enjoyed the day.  I guess there is a little of my Grandmas in me after all.
 While we worked today, Brenna and Joshua climbed all over the dirt piles.
They had SO much fun!
 Joshua came home incredibly dirty.  When I got him in the shower, mud ran from his hair as we washed it!  There is nothing more fun than a dirt pile.
 
This coming week we hope to complete the septic work and get all the dirt piles spread.  It will be fun to see the yard when it is not "lumpy."  The kids will really miss those piles though!
 
Chad is doing everything he can to get the water up and running.  Then we can move the campers to the lot AND maybe get the washer and dryer hooked up.  Oh that will be a happy day! 
Then the doors need to be installed.
After that, we will begin trimming windows.
 
The appliances are set to arrive on Wednesday.
The cabinets will be fully installed this week and the guys will come to template the kitchen for counter top on Friday.
 
With the long weekend we are hoping to get lots done so that we are ready whenever the carpet arrives.  There is so much to do that we both agree to just think about each task as it comes.  We do not have a move in date.  We will just work as quickly as we can to get trim on, flooring laid, etc... and move in whenever it is done.
 
If you love woodwork and are looking for some extra labor this Labor Day weekend.  Just stop on in (smile) we have a great big project for you!