"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Construction Update: Primed!! and (Almost) Fully Painted

After all my disappointment last week about seemingly slow moving construction, this week was the polar opposite.  This week, things moved faster and smoother than I could have ever imagined!

The first task of the week was the yuckiest - attic insulation!
Chad took the day off on Tuesday to work in the attic.  Jamison kept the blower full.
Because of some mechanical issues, it was SLOW going, but Chad and I FINALLY finished insulating the house late Tuesday evening.

Wednesday evening we began priming!
Priming with a sprayer is MESSY business.  You know how a garden hose sends off a mist if sprayed into the air?  Priming with a sprayer works the same way.  It is especially yucky in small rooms and closets.  Chad ended each spraying session absolutely filthy!

My job during this mess was much simpler than his.  I was supposed to back roll any spots that were really wet and also help him drag the long hoses from room to room.  I was messy, too - but not nearly as covered as Chad was!
Project Prime the House had a very tight deadline.
We began Wednesday evening, and it needed to be completed by Thursday evening.  Chad and I both had to work on Thursday - but by 11:42 PM that evening we had completed our mission.  The house was totally primed.  Chad sprayed a total of 65 gallons of primer between Wednesday at 7 PM and Thursday at 11:42 PM - in addition to working most of Thursday!

Friday the tapers were back on site to texture.
Saturday we began painting!

I was/am so thrilled to begin the finish work stage of this home.  I LOVE to paint, especially in new construction.  I had planned on taking my time and painting slowly.

And then on Friday, just as I was ordering paint, the electrician called me.

He requested that we have the house fully painted by Wednesday so that he could begin his finish work!

YIKES!  So much for painting slowly!  However, I am thrilled to have our subs pushing us along, so we decided to accept his challenge with JOY!

Saturday, Chad and I dropped off Joshua and Brenna at my parent's house at 9:30.  We headed to the paint store to pick up our order.  Our goal for the day was to spray paint on all the walls we had planned to spray.  It only pays to spray paint (vs roll it) if you have a rather large quantity to paint.  So we chose to spray all the bedroom ceilings and closets white.  The main living areas of our home, including a very high vault, we sprayed a latte color.  Our master suite (bedroom, bath, and closet) we sprayed as well. 

All in all we sprayed 50 gallons of paint on Saturday!
We also rolled two accent walls, including the high window wall!
The house was transformed in a blink!
We were totally exhausted, but also SO excited!

Today (Sunday) we headed out to the house to resume painting after church.

This time we had the kids with us, and I was nervous!  The kids have been wanting to paint their own rooms. I was sceptical.  On one hand, I wanted them to try.  They have worked so hard doing anything we asked, I really wanted to honor their desire to paint.  Yet, painting can be harder than it looks, and bad help can be worse than no help. . .

I thought/prayed all through Saturday night about how to make the painting experience a good one for the kids.  I was very concerned that I would be cranky and critical of their (poor?) attempts.
In the end, I had no reason to be cranky or critical.

The kids each painted their own rooms (I edged, they rolled) beautifully!  There were no runs, no spills, no cranky momma, ONLY beautifully painted walls!  It was delightful!

Chad found a mini roller for Brenna to use.  I was unsure how to enable Brenna to paint.  I did not think she was strong enough to use a full size roller with her broken collar bone.  The small roller worked perfectly.  She did a great job, and she is THRILLED with the bright pink she chose for her walls.  (It is REALLY bright - but if she is happy, I am happy.)
Sierra was not feeling well today. (In fact, she has spent this evening vomiting.  Stomach flu in the camper is my idea of a NIGHTMARE.  She is handling it gracefully, but prayers for her to stop vomiting and start feeling better would be appreciated!)  However, after waiting all this time to paint her room, she was determined to follow through!  Sierra girl did a stunning job rolling her "Rapture Blue" paint on her walls.  This color I love.  It is soothing and exciting all in one - perfectly Sierra!
Jamison did not care what color his room was painted.  So, my Auntie Patty and I chose a soft grey.  I LOVE it.  It is soft, yet masculine.  It is a true gun metal grey without a hint of purple to blue.  (Don't know if you remember the accent wall disaster this winter, but grey is not a color I have had success with in the past!  So I am extra thrilled to love this one!)  Jay rolled all four walls for me, and they look awesome!  I think he is pleased with the color as well.

Tomorrow, I need to second coat Jamison's walls.  Joshua's bedroom and Krissy's bedroom both need two coats of paint.  The master needs a second coat on the soffited ceiling and one accent wall must be painted (twice). 

And that is it! (With the exception of corner touch ups of course.)

I am shocked, awed, and very thankful for how well the painting has gone.  It has been so fun!  In fact, I have to force myself to quit.  I just want to keep going and going because I enjoy it so much.  It is such a blessing!

Also a blessing, are your prayers.

Last week I accomplished more that I could have ever imagined!  I went to Sierra's Middle School open house. Sierra and Jay had sports physicals. Sierra and I had eye doctor appointments.  I took Sierra school clothes shopping.  I bought Jay and Sierra the shoes they will need for cross country.  I completed my to-do lists at both my jobs. We attended an annual adoption gathering with other adoptive families in our area. I even had lunch with Chad on our anniversary!  All in addition to the enormous amount of work we got done at the house!  It was/is utterly amazing.

Also amazing is my mom, who washed our family's laundry for the second week in a row, AND watched Brenna and Joshua ALL weekend.  AND Chad's Grandma, who made us a WONDERFUL home cooked meatball meat this week.  We have been eating like college students, so home cooked was AMAZING!

I suspect we will continue to live in fast forward until we are moved into the house.  In fact, I expect it to get crazier.  Cross country starts tomorrow, which means driving to practices (2 a day for Jay and 1 for Sierra) and attending meets on weekends.  (That is not a complaint, I LOVE cross country!)  Because Chad and I are installing all the flooring expect the carpet, along with all the tiling of bathrooms, and all the staining, lacquering, and installing of doors, floor boards, and window trim, this last phase of construction may just be the craziest.  It is also the most fun!

So please continue to pray for us.
Because prayer changes everything!

Remember Sierra's payer for the summer?
She asked me to pray that our family would grow closer than ever before this summer as we all lived in tight quarters and worked hard side by side.

Today while we were painting her room she told me, "Mom!  It is so weird?!?  Everyone keeps telling me how close we have gotten this summer!  Grandma told me she noticed how close Jay and Krissy and I are.  Grandpa said the same thing.  So did Tishina.  Isn't that weird?"

I told her I agreed.

I also told her I did not think it was weird at all.

I thought it was to be expected!
Because, God always answers our prayers.
And on this occasion, it was a YES! answer to the desire of Sierra's heart.

Thank you God for miracles amid the mess!