"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

(I Think) He's Ready for Preschool!

One year ago, I had just accepted my job at church.  I was looking for day care, and I was totally heartbroken.  It was absolutely the hardest time of my life.  Although I enjoy my job and believe it is where God has called me to be, giving up time with my son is nearly unbearable. 
 
The first daycare Joshua was in was NOT the right fit.  So shortly after he started there, I was back to searching for childcare.  It was beyond stressful.
 
One of the places I visited in my search for the right fit was Montessori.  I loved Montessori.  I knew it would be a great place for Joshua - some day.  The multi-age classes was exactly what I wanted for him.  Their education philosophy was just what I had in mind for him.
 
But he was NOT ready.  All the kids caused him shut down.  The setting was too institutional.  As kind and friendly as the school is, it was too institutional.  It brought up too many memories of orphanage living.  While visiting the school he crawled up onto my hip, inserted his thumb into his mouth, buried his head under my chin, and closed his eyes. 
 
Thankfully, my friend Kristen was able to care for him until February.  That was a God-send.
 
In February, he transitioned once again.  This time to my friend Mia's home day care.
 
I am SO thankful for the love each of these special ladies lavished on my son.
 
Each change (was stressful) brought more and more growth in our son.
 
At Kristen's house, Joshua learned to feel safe away from me.
 
At Mia's he learned to interact with a small group of preschoolers, all day long.
 
His confidence grew and grew and grew all year.  He became so solid!  He was able to LOVE his momma and daddy like crazy, and adore a care giver, ALL at the same time.
 
The plan for Fall is for him to attend Montessori Preschool.
 
Open house was tonight.
I can not even explain how well things went.  It was absolutely amazing.
 
Joshua spoke with his teachers. 
He explored all the rooms - making sure I was nearby, but not needing me to hover.
He was not fearful.
He was not putting on a show.
 
He was simply Joshua.
Confident.
Playful.
Curious.
Polite.
Silly.
Excited.
Joshua Gebeyehu Chad Dietrich.
Tomorrow, school begins!
 
I think he is ready!
I think he will soar!
 
I am beyond grateful.
 
And I am reminded once again of the power of praying scripture over our children.
I have claimed Joshua 1:9 for my son "Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified.  Do not be discouraged.  For the Lord your God WILL BE WITH you wherever you go." over and over and over and over.
 
Good, educated, consistent, prayerful parenting is important.
 
BUT ONLY GOD HEALS.
ONLY GOD REDEEMS.
 
Thankful for the redemption I saw in my son tonight.
 
Praying he is filled with His courage tomorrow.
 
***All 5 kids start school tomorrow.  Please pray for them all and their parents too.  The thought of another transition exhausts me.  Living in the campers way down south when the schools and the new house is way up north is highly inconvenient.  Bedtime is also a problem.  It makes for very short work evenings for me.  In all honesty, I have NO idea how or when the work will be done.  And while that is stressful and I am more tired than I ever remember being in my whole life, I am still less stressed than I was last year at this time! How's that for some weird progress?!?