"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Construction Update:Water Damage

It has been a very disappointing, nearly devastating, last 24 hours.

Last night the kids and I got home from church at about 8:15 PM.  Brenna was the first one into the house.  Before I could even get out of the car, she came running back in a panic.  "There is water everywhere!" she kept telling me in frantically.

I searched my mind trying to remember if I had left the dishwasher or washing machine running when I had left at 3.  I was soon inside the back door sloshing through water, which I could hear rushing through the house.

It did not take long to realize the source.

The hot water line on one of the bathroom sinks on the upper level had disconnected and water was flowing freely.  The bathroom was soaked an inch deep.  The hallway, loft, and parts of Jay and Sierra's rooms were very wet.  There was also water flowing through the ceiling fan and light fixtures in our main floor master bedroom, master bath, and closet.  The water had  seeped into the hardwood outside our room and into Joshua's room.  It had also flowed through the wall of our closet into the back entry and main floor bathroom.

I quickly turned off the water and called Chad.

He came home and started vacuuming up water.  My parents joined us.

At about 10 PM we called in the professionals.

They worked until midnight.  Between all of us, I think we sucked up about 200+ gallons of water.

We assessed the damage (as best we could) and tried to sleep.  That was not an easy task.  We were stressed to say the least, plus there was a deafening roar of dehumidifiers and fans blowing through our house.

The kids had gone to bed hours earlier.  They slept pretty well through all the vacuuming and blowing.

Today the crew from Arrow was back.  Their task was to stop any further damage - aka demolishing our home.  I know they were helping.  We certainly do not want to live in a mold infested house, but I was totally unprepared for just how much damage the water caused.


 Our master bedroom has been gutted to the studs.
I had really hoped to never see those studs again.
They even had to pull out the insulation I sweated over.
 The carpet in the entire house, minus 2 bedrooms, was wet.  It will all be replaced.  The hot water ruined it.  Base boards have been pulled off and holes cut into many walls to release the moisture.
Much of the flooring in both the master bath and the bathroom where the flooding began will need to be redone.  The hardwood will need to be tore out.
My happy spot has disappeared.
The loft, which had been our gathering ground, is a wreck.
 
 
The questions of the day are:
1. How are you?
 
Sad.  We feel a bit like we have been kicked in the stomach.  All the wind has left our sails.  We have much work left and this feels very overwhelming.
 
Thankful.  Had we not been living here the water would have run all night and the whole house would look like our bedroom.  Also thankful that nothing important was ruined.  All our family photos and other emotionally valuable possessions are fine.
 
 
2. How can we help?
 
I am not sure yet.  We are waiting on insurance.  For now, we need to complete the list of things we had to do before this damage occurred and live with the mess.  If you love to grout, tape sheetrock, hang garage door openers, insulate garages, or hang metal sheeting in garages; give us a call.
 
We do not know the timeline.  We are supposed to have everything done in about 40 days.  We do not know yet ow this damage claim will play into closing.
 
3. How are the kids?
 
My heart is broken for my kids, totally broken.  It just stinks so much.  They worked like troopers to get this house done.  They lived in crummy conditions.  They were kind, polite, and selfless while working their tails off.  We finally have one really good "normal" week and it all gets wrecked.  Less than 2 hours of running water ruined a summer worth of work.  Any tears I shed today was for them.  I can not stand that they are living in chaos once again.
 
They, however, are being extremely brave.  One of my girls texted me today "Mom, I am praying for you."  That was the nicest thing ever.
 
Brenna and I cried together.  Then she wrote this poem:
"One step forward and two steps back
We're gonna get through step by step
I know it's hard but we're gonna get through
With God everything's possible to
It seems like everything is a wreck
But worse things can happen to
One step forward and two steps back"
 
So while it is hard and we are all really stressed, they are doing ok.  I am so proud of them.
 
For now, please pray that we are filled with peace, hope, and energy.  Pray that the insurance company makes decisions quickly and fairly.  Pray for our protection from the evil one and that chaos would no longer seemingly reign in our home.  Pray that we will take two steps forward and NO steps back for a change.