"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

One Persistent Racer Girl

Sierra has been dreaming of cross country racing for a long time.
 
She was so happy when practice began in August.
 
Unfortunately, 2 weeks into practice, she developed a pretty severe case of tendinitis.  A trainer advised total rest.  After she could comfortable walk on her leg, we had her fitted for custom orthotics.  Then we waited for them to arrive.
 
During her recovery time, she attended every team practice.  She did the things she could, and she spent the rest of practice cheering for her teammates.  She biked when she was able to try her best to stay in shape.
 
In all honesty, she was much more persistent than I.  There were days that I was tempted to advise her to quit.  Was her time really worth it when she would only be able to race once or twice in the whole season?  Was the gas and inconvenience of driving her into town for practice really worth it?  I battled those questions.  I also worried that she would end the season heartbroken because she was never able to race OR that she would be unable to race as well as she had hoped. 
 
I asked her more than once if she were sure it was worth it?
Did she really want to continue?
Maybe waiting until next year would be a better idea?
 
(I know, it was a really supportive and encouraging mom moment.  I never claim to be perfect.  Sometimes I stink.)
 
Sierra was completely committed to her cross country dream
NO
MATTER
WHAT!
 
Which made watching her race today so special.
 
The weather was terrible.  It was really cold.  It was terribly windy.  It even spit little balls of sleet.
 
The course was tough.  It was very hilly and all pavement.
 
Yet, our Sierra girl was triumphant.
She raced!
She finished 23rd.
It was a total victory!
 
Sierra Faith Dietrich, I am so proud of you.  I love your determined spirit.  I am in awe of how you commit to something and follow through to the best of your ability no matter what.  I was thrilled with how encouraging you were to your teammates while you were injured.  Choosing to cheer your lungs off, while your heart was longing to race showed maturity and grace.  The character I see in you will take you far my daughter.  I can not wait to see just how far. 
 
It is an honor to be your mom.  Thanks for loving me when I stink!
 
***I am SO excited for Saturday!  We get to watch BOTH Jamison and Sierra race at the WDA meet in Jamestown.  I can hardly wait!