"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, October 8, 2012

Savoring Simpler Times

As we settle into our home, I am shocked at how simple regular life feels.  Washing clothes, buying groceries, preparing meals, bathing kiddos, and getting ready in the morning are all so much easier with enough space and "normal" American appliances.  The stress level in our home has decreased in a major way, and I am beyond grateful.
 
(Not that the work is over.  As I type, Chad is plumbing in a toilet.  Last week he tiled the kitchen back splash and Krissy and Brenna's bathroom.  He also installed the mailbox. Over the weekend we grouted the master bath and closet, installed door locks, etc...  But even though we are still working every evening and all weekend long, life is much simpler now that we are in the house!)
 
Last week I marveled at how wonderful it felt to listen to my kids doing normal things.  Hearing them chat as I cook dinner, listening to them watch TV, sing along to the radio, and exchange advice makes my heart so joyful.  Being together again, doing normal family things is just such a treat.
 
Here are a few photos I snapped when my heart was bursting with joy.
 
 They may be 10 years apart, but boys will be boys!
These two tease and wrestle constantly.
It makes my heart happy.
(And this photo will be a treasure - I just love it!)
 One of my favorite times of day is when my kids are hanging out in the kitchen chatting with me, picking on each other, doing homework, and playing on their phones.  I have missed relaxed meal prep these last 3 months.  Having the kids near me while I cooked last week was dreamy!
 Seeing the kids happily hanging out, cuddled-up all comfy and cozy makes me feel  content.
 We stopped ALL work for a couple hours Friday night and watched a movie.
It was glorious.
 Yep, we look and feel totally exhausted.
It has been a hard summer and fall.
I rejoice in the fact that through it all we have worked side by side, (almost always) happily supporting each other.
 Joshua having room to play makes my heart grateful.  It is hard to be an imaginative, playful, exploring little guy in a teeny-tiny camper.  Having room to drive his trucks, build roads, and sing loud songs makes Joshua a much happier camper.
We have one more reason to rejoice today, Brenna is no longer on restriction.
After 3 months of doctor instructed restrictions, like NO running, NO climbing, NO gym class, NO swimming, NO biking, because she broke her collar bone quite severely this summer - Brenna has permission to PLAY!  She was so happy she jumped right into my lap and hugged me for like forever!  Then we drove straight to her school so she could try out the monkey bars.
 
She is one very thankful girl tonight!
 
I encourage each of you to take a moment and savor the simple this week.  I know how crazy life is.  I know that it is sometimes hard to be grateful when you are emptying the dishwasher for the third time in the day or folding your fifth load of laundry.  I know it is hard to remember to be thankful for a toilet that flushes and a shower with ample hot water.  I know the kids gathered in the kitchen during meal prep is sometimes more chaos than your brain can contain.  I totally get it. 
 
Even with all the conveniences, life is still hard and full and crazy.  Gratitude is easy to lose in the shuffle.
 
Fight it.
 
Hold on to gratitude.
Marvel at the conveniences.
Give thanks for the chaos in your kitchen.
Enjoy the comfort of a couch.
 
Because, unless you notice your blessings,
you are missing out on how blessed you truly are.