"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, December 16, 2012

My Favorite Things

 Tis the season!
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care. . .
 
and all the rest of the Christmas cliches!
 
I actually confessed to Chad, as I grouted our bathroom floor, that I will be VERY relieved when Christmas is finally here!  We have a stacked full week of programs, parties, and preparations!  I have not wrapped a single gift.  Both jobs will be hopping!  And I am not even done shopping.
 
However, rush RUINS Christmas!
 
So, I am doing my best to take one task at a time and enjoy a bit of the season.
 
(I may be concerned about the hurdles of the week to come, but I am so excited for next weekend.  We will have a house full of family, and I can not wait!  We will get to spend time with each of our siblings and their kids!  I am so ready to cozy up and play!)
 
 On that note, I share my very favorite Christmas thing!
 
When Sierra was born, my mom (and dad) bought me this little twiggy tree.  I really wanted it, and I could not afford it.  So instead of flowers, my mom delivered this tree.
 
Over the years, I have decorated it with a photo ornament of each of our kids each and every year.
 Looking at each ornament and how out kids have grown through the years makes my heart happy.
Having all our kids home for Christmas does too!  I confess to being a bit teary this morning during church as I realized that next year will be our last Christmas (most likely) with all of our kids living under our roof!  As I listened to the teasing, arguing, and giggles as we drove home from church, I was just so thankful that we are all together.
 
(This little tree is FULL though.  I think a bigger model will need to be on my after Christmas clearance list!)
This is my other favorite thing this weekend!
It took Chad almost ALL day on Saturday, but at long last the campers have been moved.
We now have a lovely view of the neighborhood from our living room windows.
 
It is a simple blessing we are all appreciating!
 
One funny note from the weekend includes stockings!
 
You may remember that Joshua does not dig Santa!  The first year he was home, he was absolutely terrified of the guy.  He was so very scared that Santa would sneak into his room at night, shove him into his sack, and throw him in the garbage that we have always told him that Santa is PRETEND!
 
Well, next weekend he will get to see his little cousins, who are REALLY into Santa!  They have been "elf on the shelfing" all month and are pumped about everything North Pole.  I have been very worried that Joshua will let them know under no uncertain terms that Santa is a game that parents like to play. He can not understand why so many parents "lie" and "trick" their kids about Santa.  There is nothing fun about the game to him, it is just silly!
 
So we have been practicing so he can play the game too!
 
I ask him to pretend I am his auntie or cousin asking, "Are you excited for Santa to come?"
He responds in the funniest high pitch voice, "Yes!"
 
Then I ask what he hopes Santa will bring him.
He just laughs and laughs!
 
It is a hoot!
 
**For the record, I am not a Santa hater!  We played the game with our older kids, but I also do not miss it.  I always felt a bit guilty fooling my kids.  So having the little guy be Anti-Santa is OK with me! 
 
Also - please continue to pray about our insurance settlement.  The saga is still not over.  Christmas would feel much more peaceful if it were over!