"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Bought"

Timket will be a day we forever celebrate in our home. Both because it is such a big deal in Ethiopia and because it is the day we first laid eyes on our Ethiopian son.


Did you do a double take there? Yep, you read correctly - we have seen Joshua's beautiful face.


He is said to be two years old. (Remember birth records are not kept in Ethiopia, so ages/birthdays are approximate.) He has deep dark eyes, a pouty little mouth, and cheeks his daddy will love to kiss. He weighs 22lbs and is 32.3 inches tall. He is said to be healthy.


His Ethiopian name means "i buy him." Chad and I laughed about this because the first thing Chad said when I first brought up adoption was, "You want me to buy you a baby?!" But as my spirit calmed I was also struck with humble gratitude (and a few tears) as I remembered that we were each bought at a huge cost on the cross.


I had hoped God would confirm that the little boy the agency sent us would be Joshua. How gracious He was to answer yet another prayer. First God whispers that our son should be named Joshua, "Jehovah saves" - and I discover his Ethiopian parents named him "I buy him." Kind of a full picture of God's love for us, huh? He bought us with his blood in order to save us.


Thank you Jesus. Thank you for saving me and for saving this precious child. Thank you for choosing us.

Edited March 19
When I originally posted about receiving Joshua's referral I left out all the mundane details of the day. I have decided that since this blog is essentially Joshua's and my book of memories of all that occurred while we waited for him, I had better include all the details. I know my kids love to hear stories about what I thought and felt at different moments in their life. I do not want to forget a single detail about the moment I first laid eyes on my littlest boy.

January 19 began as a busy school and work morning. I had a lot to get done and I was very focused. A phone call from IAN was not on the tip of my brain. About 11 AM my cell phone rang. I could not help but smile when I saw the call was from IAN. I guesses immediately it was our case worker calling with a referral. I was thrilled! But I also had to smile at the irony. Both Chad and I had very full schedules that day. Some days I had been just hanging out near my computer waiting... when the call came I was at my computer but busy.

Sara gave me a few instructions, a little information about Joshua including his Ethiopian name, and let me know that she would be emailing me his picture and social/medical information right away. Chad and I had decided to view our boy's picture at the same time so I called him and he said he would drive right down to the office. It was a difficult time for him to leave the job site but there was not a moments hesitation. We were most anxious to see our boys face.

While I waited for Chad to get to our office, I tried to discover the meaning to Joshua's Ethiopian name. I happened to find it in minutes on a site I had never before used.

Chad soon arrived and we clicked on the email. I do not think either of us said anything for a while. We just gazed at the face of the boy a world away who was to become our son. Finally Chad said, "He's a cute little guy." I just nodded, my eyes full of tears.

We then scanned his social and medical information. We spoke for a minute about whether or not we should bring the medical to our pediatrician before accepting this referral. We easily decided to accept the referral with no further consultation. There was very little medical information and it would have made no difference what the doctor said. Joshua was chosen for us and we did not consider turning that gift away.

I was both very emotional AND busy, so I texted our family that we had seen our son's face. I offered to show his picture to anyone who wanted to come to our house and "meet" him. It was important to me that his siblings and grandparent's see him before others.

My parents left their jobs to come to my office together to "meet" our boy.

I spent the afternoon trying to get through my pile of work!

I picked up the kids from school and Sierra had jammed her finger very badly playing football with the boys. It was really swollen and purple. She was fighting off tears. I winked to her and told her that the day was going to get lots better soon. She knew what I meant right away, but kept it a secret. I did not want the boys that carpool with us to know before Krissy who walks home.

As soon as our carpool buddies headed home I gathered my four fabulous kids together in front of the computer and showed them the picture of their little brother. We all laughed at how cute he was! I printed each of the kids a picture for their very own. We were all so excited.

Grammy stopped to see right after that. She was immediately in love.

We had a meeting to plan a fund raiser for our friends and boy was everyone surprised when the kids proudly showed each person the picture of their little brother as they arrived. It was very fun for the kids to be the tellers!

Joshua G. we did not doubt for a minute that you would be our son. I had worried I would not know, but I knew. So did your dad. We loved you and wanted you from the first moment we saw your face. Truly we loved you and wanted you even before that, but it was certainly exciting to put you face - your deep penetrating eyes, your perfect lips, and sweet little ears together with all the love and longing we were feeling. The waiting now to hold you and hug you and kiss you and read to you and to rock you and to pray with you sleeping on my lap is harder than any wait I have ever had.