"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Focus on Fitness

I am one of the lucky people that enjoys exercise. I love to work out, especially to run. Sometimes in the midst of working out, I hate it. Gasp! I admit it! However, the feelings of success, power, and peace that follow a good run make it so worthwhile. I often say that my brain rests when I run. My brain tends to run at all other times these days, so a brainless run on the treadmill is a welcome relief!


Even though I truly enjoy exercise, I struggle to fit it into my busy days. To get out of bed an hour early is such a drag sometimes. This January I have chosen to work out with a new purpose in mind. Strength!

Joshua will, God-willing, come home this year. When he arrives he will not be 7lbs 9oz like his siblings were. In his case the heavier he is the happier we will be! (I worry so about him being hungry.) One way I can prepare for his arrival is to strengthen my arms, back, and abs. The stronger I am, the easier it will be to hold and carry him.

When our first four kids were three we were not carrying them or holding them very much anymore. We were transitioning them to be "big kids." We plan to hold, carry, and rock Joshua as much as possible. We were not able to hold, carry, and rock him as a baby, so we will take advantage of every opportunity to snuggle up once he is here. Clinically speaking, all that cuddle time is a very important part of the bonding and attachment process.


It is also something I really look forward to as his mom. All you moms out there, you know that feeling you get somewhere between your arms and heart when you are longing for a baby? Like your arms are empty yet ache all at the same time? (I can not be the only mom who experienced this type of "baby fever.") One of the things that reassures me that what God has in mind for our family is a little boy NOT a baby is that my arms do not have that feeling, but my LAP does. Is that a fun and exciting reason to lift weights and do push-ups or what?