"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Alicia's latest email

I am posting Alicia's most recent email from Ethiopia. Internet service is poor at best. Sorry no pictures. They have been trying to email some with no luck.
Chad


"Hard to pack a day into an email but will try. Internet so weird here, I can not access my blog.

We needed to get going this am so I got in the shower before Joshua Gebeyehu woke, was worried he would be scared waking alone but came and laughed at me in the shower.

He Loves his chamas (shoes). The light up type is a big hit. First thing he wants.

Chowed down a big breakfast. Tried pineapple juice and loved it. He ate pancakes, cheese, and half of my fried egg. He refused scrambled eggs yesterday.

We went to visit his friends at the care center. I was worried he would either cry to be there or not want to leave with us again. Neither happened. He was not happy to be there and never left my or Krissy's hip but did ok. We brought bracelets, balloons, stickers, and candy for the kids. It was a mad house all trying to get their treats. So hard to not know many words. We hung posters and gave a care package to the Gillis boys. They are beautiful. It will be so fun to meet them at the airport. We took a picture at home with Kristen, Kate, Krissy, and I. One of their boys (Not sure I can post his name.) totally gets that we know his mama. I am sure he will remember me and of course JG too. We then took pictures of all the kids with their name cards Emily and the girls helped make. The candid shots are much cuter, but the cards help us remember who is who.

We came back to the guest house by noon. JG played and was very animated, Krissy and Mom called a driver and did some shopping. They will have to describe the market experience. They really enjoyed the driver who spoke very good english. Items are terrible cheap but some cheaply made also. They did find me a jobena and tea cups like is used in the Ethiopian coffee ceremony. They bought JG a traditional outfit as well. After we talked they may go back. They spent 50 bucks on all that stuff. I teased them that they need to spend more of my money. Krissy kinda liked it, Mom was more overwhelmed with everyone in your face and some beggars. She was worried about Krissy of course too which makes a difference. The driver always waited nearby to make sure they were fine.

Mitin stopped to tell me I had the wrong form for embassy tomorrow, yikes! But Chad was able to get the new one notorized, scanned, and emailed...that will work. Thank God once again for computers.

Tomorrow we will have to be at embassy at 8:30am. Never been ready that early with JG. He had his first big fit tonight when I told him to coach a bell - sit down with his snack. Oh the tears, then push mama away. Then the electricity quit. We walked and walked to get him to sleep tonight. That is his grief time as he fights to sleep. I can hear some special names in his tears now - Mitin Ababa (Abebe). I have no doubt that he is where he is meant to be. The care center is nice and nannied living, but very formal, not a real life and family and care only good for what the alternative is. Saw a little boy today with a yucky sore on his head that the flies would not leave alone, babies with bottles dropped and no help. Also see lots of good, they can only do so much, but no one should grow up in a day care center. Anyway that said it still hurts to know all the loss JG has faced and is facing.

I wish you could hear it here. There is some type of bar a block or 2 away that is so loud and now a dog barking in the lobby. Crazy noise...thankfully JG sleeps on.

We all still feel great. Superior food here at the hotel.

Gave JG his toy airplane today. That is was a cool macheena (Car). Plays with toys so well and loves to sit quietly with them, then yells for me or Krissy to pay attention.

Krissy is amazing with him. Too good sometimes cuz she gets to spoil him and never say no. He kisses all over her. Sometimes calls her mama too, really he does not know what mama is. Don't get me wrong we have a beautiful connection but I am unsure he remembers his Ethiopian mama and has had nannies ever since. Mama, sister, Grandma, and family relationship is so new. Just a label, he will learn all that a mama really is. Makes you remember how lucky we are, both to have our mamas and to be able to teach JG what family is.

I leave you with that thought. I am going to try to block out all the noise and sleep. Would take a sleeping pill but want to be up for embassy. Hard to sleep when it is 3:16pm at home (11:16pm Ethiopian time) and when I have been sleeping on a toddlers schedule and had a nice nap this afternoon.

Embassy tomorrow."

Alicia