"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

One month ago today...

Our first family of 7 photo.
May 30, 2010 - 1 month ago today - I finally held my son Joshua Gebeyehu Chad D. for the first time. It was a day I will cherish forever. BUT I have posted all about that - so today I share with you our homecoming!


As excited as I was to meet and hold my son, I was even more excited to bring him home to his daddy (and siblings and family and friends). But mostly his daddy! While I am certain we made the best decision possible for me to go and Chad to stay - it was hard! Finally taxiing into our home airport was the best feeling of the whole trip. We were so tired. The flights were so long. Gebeyehu struggled. To finally be HOME was the biggest relief.


OK enough words. Enjoy the photos of our arrival home. My friend Mary agreed to photograph our homecoming. She took 171 amazing photos. I can not thank Mary enough. The pictures are treasures, they make me cry every time I view them. They captured the day perfectly. I chose a few to illustrate our story.

We made it!

I texted Chad from Minneapolis and told him to just pray us home. I was so tired. I missed everyone so much. Gebeyehu struggled so on the airplane from Amsterdam. Oh how thankful I am to have this man as my husband.

Auntie Emily helped the kids at home make t-shirts. The kids had a blast and the shirts are treasures.

I love this picture! This family is waiting to find out what child or children God will place in their family. We went to Ethiopia for the exact same reason - our son was there. I am still in absolute awe of the way God is working in our family.

Jay was ready!

By this point I am not sure who was more anxious... me or my family waiting at the door!

Walking through those doors was perfection, one of those beautiful moments that are suspended in my heart and mind forever.

You know it is a big moment when my Jamison hugs me. Poor Joshua Gebeyehu was so tired! He barely slept at all the entire trip, but finally slept on the short flight from Minneapolis. Add a big time change to his lack of sleep - his body clock thought it was midnight - and you have an exhausted 2 year old. He was beyond wiped, but handled the commotion well hanging out on my hip and taking it all in through heavy eyelids.

My Sierra!

Brenna!

We both get a big hug from Daddy!

Grandpa Scott saying hello.

Daddy is happy to have a boy that likes cars!

I thought Gebeyehu might be too tired to respond to Daddy's gift, but a car is worth waking up for! He calls it Daddy macheena (the car Daddy brought him).

Brenna lost her first tooth while I was away!

I treasure the way Joshua Gebeyehu loves to snuggle close.

Meeting Grammy!

One more hug before we join everyone else. Chad, the kids, and grandparents waited for us upstairs. Our remaining "welcome celebration" took place on the main floor of the airport. It was so nice to have a few private minutes to introduce my husband and kids to their brother.
It was also very exciting to ride down the escalator down and be greeted by our amazing friends!

Seeing familiar smiles, colorful signs, and getting big hugs was wonderful.

The kids check out a sleepy JG. (A friend told me she overheard Brenna tell her buds that it would be alright to "pet" her brother. She cracks me up!)

Future friends!


Auntie Emily and cousin Lexi

Chatting

Poor sleepy little man - let's go home!

Leaving airports behind!

Joshua Gebeyehu looked at the picture I brought of mama's macheena for hours while in Ethiopia. He was oh so tired, but popped his head right up when he saw the macheena from the picture. Seriously - he reacted before I pointed it out. This boy knows his cars!

Joshua seat in mama's macheena!

We are going home!



**Thank you for being there when we arrived! I loved every minute of it. Thank you also for your patience as you have been waiting to see and play with this boy. I clearly remember how hard he is to wait for! I will reassure you with the word my caseworker used with me all the time while I waited... SOON! Let me assure you he is worth the wait.


Thank you Jesus for choosing us to be Joshua Gebeyehu's family.