"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Funny Things He Says...

Joshua has amazing language skills, but once in a while he just totally cracks us up.

  • One of his new favorite things to do is race. He calls out, "READY!" and hunches over to start in great form. Then he yells, "SIT!" and moves into a squat position. (Apparently SET sounds like SIT to him. His pre-race squat is sooo funny!) Then he yells, "GO!" and takes off as fast as his legs will carry him. (He can nearly run on flat solid ground these days. He has gotten so much stronger. He chants, "faster, faster" when he is "running" and pumps his arms wildly.)
  • Today Krissy was babysitting my nieces. Joshua always knows where each of us are at all times. When we are not together he repeats to me frequently where each of the missing family members are. It makes him feel much more secure when he knows and understands where we all are. So this morning I kept telling him Krissy was babysitting. He would respond, "Yep." After lunch he proudly announced to me, "Krissy baby coach a bell." I was totally confused at first. Coach a bell is Amharic for to sit. I asked him, "Krissy sat on the baby?" He replied, "Yep. Krissy baby coach a bell!" Then it hit me. I kept telling him Krissy was babysitting. I did not even try to explain babysitting, I just giggled and told him he was right. And really... he was!
  • We borrowed my Expedition to the Youth Group this weekend so Joshua got to ride in Daddy's truck. He LOVED that! Yesterday I drove Daddy's truck. Joshua was so totally excited and very impressed with my skills. He kept saying, "Momma Daddy's truckie driving!" I would respond that yes, Momma drove Daddy's truck. He would laugh out loud and say, "Good Job me Momma!" over and over.
  • Last one... Krissy and Jay got home from a weekend with the Youth Group last night and I really wanted to hear their stories. They were starving and sick of the "great" outdoors. Well, Joshua really wanted to play outside. So I decided to let Sierra watch him outside for a few minutes. Sierra was happy to do it! She had been hanging out with a neighborhood friend and thought showing off her little bro would be the bomb. I was shocked when Sierra came in with Joshua just a few minutes later. From the look on BOTH of their faces, I knew something was up. Sierra told me in a huff that Joshua had chosen to shinty (go potty) outside right in front of her friend. She was NOT impressed. Poor Joshua was a little shaken up. He kept asking me, "Joshua no naughty. No shinty shoes." (Joshua is not naughty. He did not go potty on his shoes. He has had very few accidents, but when he does it is upsetting because I have to wash his beloved shoes!) I kept reassuring him that he is not naughty, he should just remember to shinty in the toilet next time. He can not stand the idea of himself or any of the kids being naughty. It truly shakes him up to be in trouble of any kind, he is just not secure enough in our love to realize that we will love him even if/when he makes a mistake. That is something we work on ALL the time. His behavior needs to be corrected sometimes but our love for him has to be reinforced at a HIGH level along with the correction. Today he hit the dog with a toy. I told him he needed to be gentle with Riley. He replied, "Joshua no naughty boy" very insecurely. I reminded him that JOSHUA is a GOOD boy who needs to be gentle with Riley. He relaxed immediately and was very gentle with Riley from there on out. (Only the dog can be naughty! Joshua likes it when we catch the dog being naughty?! He loves to point out the dog's mistakes and yell, "Momma Riley NAUGHTY!" The truth is he only knows the word naughty because of the dog. We have told him Riley is naughty to go off his rug (etc) and he hears our disapproval. I have never said that Joshua is naughty and I never will! I have always been very careful to help my kids see that their behaviors may be inappropriate but THEY are good, loving, smart and capable of correcting the behavior.) Every time he went potty today he proudly announced, "Momma, Joshua GOOD BOY! Shinty toilet!" Yes sweet Joshua, YOU are a VERY GOOD BOY!

More good news came in the mail today... Joshua's green card. We will start working on readoption paperwork now. Readoption in the US will get him a social security number and a US Birth Certificate. There is no concern that anything about his adoption will be challenged. It is 100% final, but completing this paperwork will make filing taxes, travel, etc... simpler. I will be glad when all this paperwork is a thing of the past!