"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Progression of Playdates

This is Joshua last summer, "surviving" his very first playdate in America.

Surviving was they key word.

I chose a very small park for our first play date.
Joshua and I arrived early, so he would be familiar with the park before our friends came.
I carefully chose the the girls we would play with.
They were sweet, kind, and low key.
Their mom would not be insulted by my "crazy" rules.
She would not be upset if Joshua had a hard time and we left right away.
Everything was carefully orchestrated.

And Joshua survived.
He did not THRIVE - which is always my goal.
He just survived.

He did not let me get more than 3 steps away from him at any time.
He did not interact with the other kids.
He was just as he looks... scared.
(Sadly, this picture was taken after he had "warmed-up.)

This is Joshua playing with these same girls today!

Today, they have become great friends!
Today, they all chatted and giggled!
Today, he ran, jumped, climbed, and bounced!
Today, he played way across the park from mommy!
Today, he waved to me confidently as he played!!
Today, he stole a kiss from the beautiful Abby when it was time to part.

Sometimes, miracles happen one tiny achievement at a time.

My son hardly resembles the boy he was a year ago.

I stand in awe of the changes.

I stand in awe of the One who heals!

Here are a few more photos of our play date today... just because they got so pretty!

Ellie, my first "adopted" child

MY Brenna girl LOVES to climb trees
and pose for pictures

Abby, the beauty from whom Joshua stole a kiss today!
(Does he have great taste or what?)

Brenna and Ellie

Brenna and Abby
Peek-a-boo!
Joshua Gebeyehu, I really, really love you!