"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

For My "Fake" Friend

The time between Joshua's referral and traveling to bring him home, was the longest, hardest, most difficult time in my life.  Knowing without a doubt that he was our son, and simultaneously knowing that he was in an orphanage was nearly unbearable.  Truly, is there any worse place to think of a child being than an orphanage?!?  The time it took to process paperwork and pass court seemed like such a waste.  My heart was shredded thinking of my son all alone.

During that time I was blessed with some friends who loved me like never before.  Mary, Karri, Teresa, Sharlene, Ashlee, and Kristen - I could not have walked those days without your prayers, encouragement, and love.  Truly.

I was also blessed with a couple of new and as my kids called them "fake" friends.  There were a couple of mom's who were also waiting for the arrival of their Ethiopian children who loved, supported, and encouraged me.  That was such a surprising blessing.

Prior to Joshua's adoption I had very little interest in the Internet.  I was not on FaceBook.  I had never read a blog.  Chat groups were not my thing.  I liked privacy!  But as we entered the realm of International adoption, I realized that there were few people nearby who I could learn from and who would understand my heart.  So, I needed to "go more public."

I started this blog, and I joined my first Yahoo group.  I also read lots and lots of other blogs.  More than any other way, God prepared me for Joshua's arrival through the stories other families shared on their blogs.  I learned much about attachment, hearing God, walking in faith, God's heart for the orphan, orphan care, travel in Ethiopia, and details about Joshua Gebeyehu's personality through blogs and our agencies Yahoo group.  I have told people that the Internet has grown my faith more than anything else, and I am not joking.

By the beginning of May 2010 (3 weeks before we traveled to get Joshua), I really did not think I could wait another hour to see our son.  I was ridiculously miserable.  About that time, my "fake" friend Dardi traveled to Ethiopia to bring home her son.

While in Ethiopia she sent me these photo:



Now I understand that they do not have quite as much impact on you as they did on me, but at that time they were truly the most precious gifts I could receive.  To see Joshua Gebeyehu by the pictures of our family was so exciting to me.  He had seen us!  I knew he did not understand fully, but he had seen us!  In the bottom photo he was holding the rings we had sent him, and smiling mischievously.

Dardi also emailed me his shoe size.  She told me he was potty trained!  She sent a couple of funny stories that revealed a bit of his personality.  And, she was honest - letting me know how he had cried when he realized that he was not going to go with Dardi, her new son, and her daughter Kam.  She told me he was ready and waiting for us.

Dardi has continued to encourage me as mom and as a sister in Christ through little comments on my blog, advice on "mega momma mobiles," and in sharing her heart/ her God stories on her blog.
This is my friend Dardi and her family.


I tell you about them today because they (finally) need a favor from me. . . from us!  I, at long last, have the opportunity to help and encourage her family.

You see they are in the process of adopting a little girl from China.  They are thrilled to report that the process is going more quickly than anyone (save God) could have predicted.  However the quicker process made for less time to save funds, and they are a bit short.  That means we have the opportunity to help.

Now, you have all heard my lectures before about how every dollar matters to God.  Please trust Him with your gifts, large or small.  God does not need money, He just teaches us through it.  And He does not come up with a plan that He can not pay for.  I trust Him to multiply our gifts to meet the need od my friend Dardi and her little Kemeri.

To contribute to this family, please click here.

To follow their journey via Dardi's blog, click here.


Father God, thank you for the blessing that Dardi has been to me.  Thank you for the example she is.  Thank you for calling her and her family.  Thank you for Kemeri.  Thank you that she will soon be on the hip of her loving momma.  She is almost home, God.  We trust you to continue to move mountains as You set this child into the family You have chosen for her.  We know that You will meet each and every need they encounter.  Please pour out Your blessings on each gift and upon each giver - as only You can.