"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, January 9, 2012

Skating!!!


It was a BIG day in Joshua's world.

He got to go ice skating!!!


Joshua's Godparents, Luke and Ashlee, are MAJOR Sioux hockey fans.  They have been carefully planting the seeds of "Sioux loyalty" in our son.  He has caught the hook, big time!

It has not been a popular choice with his siblings who prefer the Bison and football to anything Sioux, especially hockey.  Pretty much our entire extended family has fought his Sioux fascination, but he continues to hold fast!

On a few occasions this has caused a bit of squabbling in our home.  He once told Krissy and Jamison that they looked "yucky" all dressed in Bison green and gold.  He was certain he would never wear that "yucky Bison stuff.  Because I (Joshua) only I likes the Sioux!"  His siblings were in an uproar over that comment.  His Grandpa Scott was not too thrilled either! (Not to mention Uncle Jeremy, Auntie Teresa, and Auntie Miranda, etc...)

So peacemaker that I am. . . I bought him a Bison shirt for Christmas, just to even out his wardrobe.  (Luke and Ashlee has already bought him a Sioux shirt!)  I kept telling him to cheer for Sioux hockey and Bison football!

Yes.  I know, all you true sports fans are seething.  "It" just does not work that way in your world.  However, I do not speak sports.  I just want everyone to win.  (corny but true)  And I just want everyone to get along!  It is a solution that works for me.  The Bison do not play hockey, so it seems a good compromise in my little world.

Joshua made his family proud this weekend as he cheered for the Bison as they won the National Championship football game.  I know everyone had high hopes, but I fear they may have been dashed today!

Today our son skated! 

I have to type that again.  Today our son skated!

The same son that could not jump one year ago today!  The very one who could not go up and down steps one foot at a time, either, just one year ago.  He was delayed, and we were worried.  We worked and played and prayed and played and worked and prayed some more.

And today our son skated!

Not only did he skate, he went to the rink with his Godparents all by himself.  All by himself!!! And he did great!

Whether you like the Sioux or the Bison, you have to cheer for that sports story!

(When I told Chad that Joshua was skating he said, "Can you even imagine what his birth family would think?  Our little Ethiopian son skating on ice. . ." )

There are so many miracles in this simple accomplishment.  I am so thankful for each and every one.