"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ethiopian Treasures

I am suffering from a terrible case of travelers envy these past few weeks.

"Everyone" has been going to Ethiopia, and although I am so very happy for each traveler, my heart aches to return to Ethiopia in a BIG way.

It is really something odd and unexplainable the way Ethiopia has captured me.  From the very beginning, it has owned a corner of my soul.  I fell in love with the people and traditions during our wait for Joshua.  Becoming the mother of and Ethiopian child forever solidified my love for that land.  I want Joshua Gebeyehu to be proud of his Ethiopian heritage.  We certainly are.

In all honesty, being in Ethiopia was hard for me.  The language barrier is difficult.  The poverty is heart breaking.  Ethiopia smells different, looks different, and sounds different.  Going to Ethiopia was NOT a relaxing vacation, it was an eye-opening, life-altering experience.  Yet if I were to win a free trip to the location of my choice, I would not hesitate but choose Ethiopia.  There is no describing the longing in my soul to return.  It is there.  It is constant.  And some day, God willing, I will return.

In the midst of my longing for Ethiopia, I was blessed BIG today.

My dear friend Kristen just returned from meeting their newest daughter, Ariyat.  (Please cover sweet, beautiful Ariyat in prayer as she waits for her family to return for her.  The process has changed since we adopted Joshua Gubs.  You now travel for court and meet your child.  You then return home, alone.  Breaks my heart to even type it.  I am not sure I am capable of living it.  Kristen and family are currently awaiting clearance from the US Embassy to bring Ariyat home.  Please pray that that clearance is swift, not just for Ariyat's case, but for the cases of so many children waiting for their mommas and daddies to return.)

Anyway, Kristen agreed to act as my personal shopper while in Ethiopia.

Look what she bought me!
 This piece of art is an original done by an Ethiopian artist.  I absolutely love it!

 She also bought me an assortment of beautiful, hand woven scarves and several pieces of jewelery.
Most importantly, according to Chad anyway, she brought us Ethiopian coffee.  10 bags of delicious Ethiopian coffee to be exact.  I am hoping and praying that when this supply of coffee is gone, I will be able to return myself to shop for more!

She also bought Joshua two traditional outfits.  He will happily model them soon.
(He already tried them on, but I did not take photos.)

Thank you, my friend, for bringing Ethiopia to me. 
Drinking Ethiopian coffee, wearing Ethiopian accessories, and gazing at my new Ethiopian art makes me just the tiniest bit less homesick for the beautiful land that has stolen my heart.