"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mahalo (thank you) Hawaii!

Even though we have only been home for a day, it is already hard to believe we were actually in Hawaii.  I would highly recommend it.  It is warm, friendly, relaxing, and beautiful.  Just check out that rainbow! 

I love palm trees.

Have mentioned that the ocean is my very favorite place in the universe?
Wednesday morning we got up early to fly to Honolulu.  It was really important to both of us to visit Pearl Harbor.  My grandfather was a World War II veteran, and Chad's grandfather was stationed in Honolulu during the Korean War.  Seeing where Grandpa Hoff was so many years ago, and coming face to face with a place so important in both our family and US history was really incredible.
This is a view of both the USS Missouri Battleship and the USS Arizona Memorial.  One ship was lost forever, the other served our country in many, many wars from World War II through the Persian Gulf War.
In order to enter the USS Arizona Memorial, you board a ferry.

It is a somber journey approaching the sunken ship.
This memorial sits directly above the USS Arizona.

It breaks my heart to see parts of the ship above the water.  I can not imagine how sad and frustrating it was for the men who tried so hard to rescue their fellow servicemen.  They were so close, yet too far away.

Seeing the oil still dripping from the ship makes the loss real and alive today

This quote cut into my heart.

We often live so selfishly, with no appreciation for all that we have, or the lives that have been lost for our gain.  Standing over a watery grave, it is not so easy to forget.

Being at the memorial was hard.

Good.

But hard.
After we left the Memorial, we went to board the USS Missouri Battleship.

That was really cool!
She is a huge and most impressive ship.

The Mighty MO was an important part of all wars from World War II through the Persian Gulf War.  And if needed, she could still be used today!  Can you imagine any other piece of military equipment this adaptable or long lasting?  It blows my mind!
This is the walk way that leads to the USS Missouri.
 It was on the deck of this boat that World War II ended and Japan surrendered.
 Those are some HUGE guns!

We were able to explore all over the ship, inside and out.
It was absolutely fascinating!

 Below deck they had many displays about the wars the Mighty MO served in.  I photographed the display about the Korean War because Chad's Grandpa served in the same fleet as the USS Missouri during that conflict.  He was on a destroyer called the USS Hanson.  He also served on the USS Wiseman.
 Sleeping quarters.

They called them coffins.

I can see why!
 Officer's quarters.

There was a former officer giving his daughter a tour of the ship.  I wish we could have tagged along!  The stories he was telling her about ship life should be recorded.  I so wish we could have a similar tour with Chad's Grandpa.


 When Chad told his Grandpa we were going to Hawaii, he was thrilled to hear we were planning on touring Pearl Harbor.  He also advised us to check out the "Black Cat" on Waikiki Beach.  He confided that he had spent a lot of time in that bar while stationed in Hawaii.

We asked the tour guide about it and were told it was no longer a part of the beach.  We were not surprised but still a bit disappointed.

Imagine our surprise when we saw references to the Black Cat in two different locations near the Battleship!  I guess Grandpa Hoff was not the only one with memories of his time there!

 Those words made me think.

What do I think patriotism is?  Does it have a place in our country today?  Or has it been lost along the way?
 We could not have a beer in honor of Grandpa Great Hoff at the Black Cat, but we did have one on Waikiki Beach!  At a new hot spot called:

Thank you service men, for all you have done to make our life easy.

Thank you to our grandfather's for serving both your county and your family with dignity, honor, courage, and respect.  May we live lives that honor and protect all you sacrificed and warred to protect.

 Our final Hawaiian experience was rather trivial in comparison! 
 We went whale watching!

I am not much of an animal lover, but the whales in Hawaii totally intrigued me.
At this time of the year female whales enter these waters to give birth and mate.
Around 12,000 whales travel through these waters this time of year.

They are everywhere!
Seriously!

You could see them in the horizon splashing or blowing all the time.
I loved it!

I was napping on the beach one day when I heard a big splash.
Really big.
I sat up, and to my utter joy, I watched a whale playing just off shore.
He jumped and splashed putting on the most magnificent show.
It was amazing!

So, I was really, really, really excited to get out on the water and see the whales closer!

 This is a view of the resort we stayed at from the water.

It was a great place.  Chief (our building supplier) always puts us up at wonderful resorts, and this was one of our favorites!  The view from our room was amazing.  The food was delicious.  The staff was both friendly, efficient, and relaxed.  There was a great selection of things to do close by.  It was truly terrific.  (We stayed at the Sheraton on Kanapali Beach in Maui.)
 There they are!  A momma and her baby coming up for air!

 And the famous whale tail!

I took a lot of pictures of the whales, but I will not bore you!  I think they are something you have to see and hear in person to truly appreciate!
 See the white/lighter area in the water?  That is a whale swimming right under our boat.

He parked under the boat and sang his whale song.  We could hear it loud and clear.

I know, you had to be there, but trust me it was marvelous!
 There we are - sitting side by side on a sail boat in Hawaii.

I am so glad I have the evidence to prove it!

I still can not believe that God granted us a "free" trip (OK so we will get 1099ed and have to pay the taxes on it) to Hawaii on the exact day February 29 that we started going together 20 years ago.

For the record, it is not because we deserve it.
No one "deserves" a trip to Hawaii.
We were most certainly not entitled to it any more than anyone else.

It was a gift.
A much appreciated, unbelievably beautiful gift from God.


And guess what?  Our kids did great!  We have been home for 24 hours and they seem terrific.  Not tired, or clingy, or detached, or anything other that our perfectly delightful, completely imperfect children!  What a blessing!  A HUGE thank you to my parents, Chad's mom, Kristen, Sharlene, and Josh for the TLC you provided last week. 

And guess what else?  My Grandma is home!  I am so thankful!

Thank you for praying for my family!