"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Ready Yourself!

At least three times in the last week God has brought the verses of Luke 4:1-12 to my attention.  In scripture, and in life, three seems to be a significant number.  How many times have you heard mothers say, "I am going to count to three and then. . ."  On a couple of different occasions God does basically the same thing in scripture.

So, after reading the passage three times, I decided to really ask God what He wanted me to get from it.

In this portion of scripture, Jesus is being tempted by the Devil.  These temptations are very "in your face!"  Jesus is HUNGRY, he had fasted for 40 days.  (I can't imagine.  I am thinking I will die of starvation after 36 hours!)  The Devil tempts Him with food.  Next the Devil bribes that if Jesus will worship him, Satan will give Jesus "the glory of these kingdoms and the authority over them."  Finally, Satan wants Jesus to jump off the highest point of the Temple to prove that God will save Him.  (Notice 3 tests?!)

Each and every time Jesus is tempted, He answers Satan by quoting scripture.
  1. "You must not live by bread alone" (found first in Deut 8:3)
  2. "You must worship the Lord your God and serve Him only" (found first in Deut 6:13)
  3. "You must not test the Lord your God" (found first in Deut 6:16)
(I highly suggest you pull out your Bible or google this passage as I have greatly summarized it.)

Interesting tale, right?  But what does it have to do with my life, I wondered?  Why is God calling and recalling it to my attention?

As I have been praying about this, the answer seems to be "READY YOURSELF!"

Many times in my life (OK so more like daily) trials come.  During really difficult times, when I am really asking God for help, He has given me a verse to cling to.  Sometimes those verses have "magically" floated into my head at the very moment I have needed them.  Other times they have been sent to me by a treasured friend.  I have received meaningful verses via text, daily Bible aps, devotions, and through listening to Christian radio. 

Some verses I have claimed for a day or two.  Others I have clung to for months and months.  (If you have read my blog for very long you will have seen the evidence of this in my writing.)

Since the first of the year, I have not spent as much time reading scripture.  I have surrounded myself with other Christian materials - music, magazines, books, Bible study groups, etc...  I basically decided that because so many things I have been focusing on are Biblical, I was "in the Word."  However, I have recently realized that as I spend less time reading the Bible, the scripture messages that normally "magically appear" to calm and reassure me are also less consistent. 

I know this is not shocking at all, when I think about it.  The problem is I have been too busy to even think about it.  I am thankful that God takes the time to call things to our attention.  I am thankful that when we miss the first lesson, He loves us enough to repeat - and repeat.

So, I urge you (and me) tonight to spend time in His word.  If you are struggling, ask Him to show you the way.  Seek out scripture to claim in moments of anxiety, joy, confusion, hope, etc...  Check out the back of your Bible, you may have a subject index.  In that index you can look up a topic and verses about that topic will be listed.  And do not forget our friend "google!"  You can google verses about _________ and you will be instantly directed to verses about whatever you wish. 

Then USE those verses.  Write them down and post them in prominent places.  My son, Jamison, loves the verse Philippians 4:13 right now.  He uses it as his signature on his text messages.  He has also used it as the screen saver on out home computer.  Just getting a text from him reminds me of God's promises.

We all know that each day is filled with trials and temptations.  Choosing to "Ready ourselves!" (to arm our hearts and minds with God's word) will get us through each of those trials.

After all, it worked for Jesus.