"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, June 8, 2012

Embrace the Adventure

It has been a crazy week, filled with so much to do that the EXCITING moments have been lost in the busyness.  I am trying to fight that, but in all honesty I have often been sucked down by the busy.

It was a week of beginnings.  Krissy began summer school.  She is taking Chemistry from 7:30 to 12:30 each day.  Jamison began summer training for cross country.  Our sleep-a-holic has to run every morning this summer (and I so mean every morning, save Saturdays) at 6:15 am.  Which means mom or dad have to drive him to practice each morning at 6:00.  So, instead of summer mornings being quiet and sleepy, they are busy!

It was a week of choices.  I have spent hours and hours this week choosing stuff (or at least tying to choose stuff) for the new house.  Each of the kids have chosen bedding sets.  Rugs and shower curtains have been ordered for the kitchen and 2 of the bathrooms in the new house.  That is fun and exciting.  Yet it is still taxing.  Trying to help the kids make choices that are truly THEIRS, yet they will be satisfied with for several years to come, AND working within a budget is interesting.  I feel really good about the choices we have made and the deals we found.  However, my brain is still spinning!

We have been spending a lot of time trying to locate the right second camper at the right  price and in the right location.  It is a puzzle that is not yet solved.  Thinking through where we will set up campers, who will sleep where, how much stuff we will keep with us, and how much stuff we will store it frying my brain.  We have to be out in 21 days, and there are so many loose ends.  I am not sure how it will all come together, but somehow it will.  Chad is magic like that.  He always pulls "it" off in the end.

I am quite honestly overwhelmed.  Overwhelmed by all the choices.  Overwhelmed by all the possibilities.  Overwhelmed by the thought of camper showers, laundromats, driving across town for kids' activities (the camper will be down south, the kids' stuff is up north), packing, constructing, working, volunteering.  Overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work there is to do.  Overwhelmed wondering how long it will be before we are home, settled, and back into a "normal" routine.

But really, it is time for me to just GET OVER IT!

Being overwhelmed is helping NOTHING.  Like it or not, this is our reality.  So I am going to need to become more flexible than I ever imagined possible, and roll with all that is to come.  I may need to paint that on the side of my van or hang a BIG, HUGE sign up in our camper to remind me though.  "Embrace the Adventure" will need to be my motto for the summer and right on into the fall.

The HIGHLIGHT of the week was Vacation Bible School.

Many years I help to lead worship at VBS.  It is always so fun because we have a full band.  The rest of the year the kids worship via DVD, but at VBS we have a live band.  The kids love it!  Which makes me love it too.

This year was extra special because all my girls helped as well.  (I have terrible pictures snapped with my phone, but they are better than none!)

 Sierra was the drummer for VBS.  She was amazing.  She played her little heart out and smiled every minute.  The rest of the musicians were quite talented and experienced, and they were so encouraging to her.  She learned so much this week, while growing in confidence under the leadership of Brad, Tom, and Scott.  As a mom, it is such a gift to see other adults pouring themselves into my daughter - causing her to absolutely glow.  Thanks guys for building our Sierra up this week!  It was gift she will benefit from for many years to come. 

Sierra has dreamed of being a drummer for so long.  It makes me a bit teary to realize that her sisters and I were able to be a part of the first band she played for.

I have no doubt we will watch Sierra play for years and years to come.  She loves it.

In fact, her dad is trying to figure out how to make one of the rooms in our new home soundproof so that she can jam away without the rest of us losing our minds!
Brenna- girl also saved the day.

Most years my girls help me choose the music for VBS.  The curriculum comes with "camp songs" and we choose one or two to do with the kids.  The rest of the music is stuff they know and love - but the VBS theme songs are always a hit.

This year, I put Brenna in charge of the music selection.  She listened to the songs.  She chose the best ones.  She learned all the actions.  Then she taught them to the rest of us!  I do not exaggerate when I say this.  35 minutes before our first worship team rehearsal Brenna taught me the music and actions.  She then agreed to stand in front of me - along with Krissy - so I could watch them.

They did an amazing job.  The kids loved singing and dancing with them!

So there you go.  That was my week.  Craziness.  Feeling totally completely overwhelmed.  Working toward embracing the adventure. And some moments I want to hide in my heart forever.

Life is hard, but God is good.