"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Picture Worth 1000 Words

When most you of you see the picture above, you think, "Oh! That is so sweet!" And then you go on with your day.

When I SAW the above picture taking place, it MADE MY WEEK, maybe even my month.

You see Chad has worked so hard, and waited so patiently for that simple nap to happen.

Adoption is HARD.  Much of the hard is glossed over so as not to sound whiny or discouraged or doubting of God's call.  But it is HARD.

For Chad, the hard came in Joshua being afraid to be too close to him.  He loved playing with Daddy, but he would not get too close or too comfortable.

If Joshua was in our bed, he would make sure he was not touching Daddy.

If Daddy tried to pick him up without his shirt on, Joshua would cringe. He would say he was "scared!"

When Daddy would try to give Joshua a hug or a kiss with even the slightest amount of stubble, Joshua would totally withdraw (as in freak out).

When Daddy would try to cuddle with Joshua and watch a DVD or read a book, Joshua would insist on personal space.

Hugs with Daddy were short and stiff.

While I experienced much hard and true attachment took time between Joshua and myself, I was never rejected the same way that Chad was.  I was fortunate in that Joshua was willing to be held and comforted by me.  He may have whispered some odd things like "mommy can I please go home with that nice lady" while cuddling into my hip (I wish that were a joke) - but he was always OK with being on my hip.  His willingness to be touched and soothed by me made my attachment to him easy.

I am in awe at the grace, love, patience, time, and space Chad gifted our son with in these past two years.  Joshua's rejection was painful sometimes and annoying other times, but Chad refused to give up.  He continued patiently and lovingly interacting with our son.

Ever so slowly, ever so slowly trust was built.  Hugs lasted longer.  Watching TV on Daddy's lap was OK.

And today, he climbed on top of Daddy, stuck his thumb in his mouth, and fell fast asleep on his Daddy's chest.

Adoption is HARD - but it is THE BEST HARD we have ever experienced.

I am so proud of Joshua's Daddy's dedication, persistence, and love. 

I am so thankful for healing, even when it happens ever so slowly.


I am thankful that I witnessed this miracle on my couch today.