"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Moments that Melt My Heart

Guess who went to a party today?!?
 
Joshua Gebeyehu Chad Dietrich!
 
Since starting day care last year, Joshua has been invited to MANY parties.
But he never felt comfortable attending.
 
He worried about everything -
what will we eat?
who will be there?
can you stay momma?
what if the mom yells at me?
what if I miss you?
what if I get hurt?
etc
etc
etc. . .
 
I reassured him that it was OK to skip parties if he felt uncomfortable.
 
He was relieved.
 
About two weeks ago he received an invitation to yet another party.
He asked his standard questions, and said he would think about it.  But he thought he would probably be busy that day.
 
About a week later he told me, "Mom!  I want to go to the party.  Call my friends mom!"
 
So I did.
 
Today he had a BLAST choosing a gift.
Complete with a $7 musical card. 
Because, "Sharlene always buys noisy cards.  They are the BEST!"
(Mom never buys cards.  Mom is too cheap!)
 
When we drove up to the party he said, "Will you walk me in?"
 
I told him I would and that I would stay as long as he wanted me to.
 
He held my hand as we crossed the parking lot.
 
When we got close to the door, I could hear all his little buddies yelling
"JOSHUA!
YEAH!!!!! JOSHUA!!"
 
We said hello to the mother.
He introduced me to his buddies.
I helped him take off his shoes.
 
And he said,
"You can go home now.  I'm going to have FUN!"
 
I had NO doubt that he would.
 
I returned and he was not thrilled to leave.
At one time transitions were very hard, they are still a bit sticky sometimes, so I was a bit worried.
 
However, he dug deep and chose to listen nicely.
As we put on his shoes, I explained that it would be polite to thank the mom.
 
He said, "Oh, Good idea."
 
He politely told her thank you and good-bye.
 
And guess what?
 
She gave him a treat bag?!?
 
Did you know that kids sometimes get treat bags after birthday parties?
Joshua does now!
 
He was so, so thrilled.
 
It was a extra-sweet, melt my heart weekend with our smallest son.
 
Here are two more stories that I want to hide in my heart.
  • I came home recently feeling very sad and overwhelmed.  It had been a really discouraging morning at work.  I did not tell Joshua how I was feeling, but when he raced up to tell me hello, he wrapped his little self around me in the biggest hug ever.  He simply held on and on, not letting go.  He finally whispered, "Mommy I love you.  You are the best mommy ever and I will hug you until you feel better."  There are so many layers to that huge hug.  The top layer of pure sweetness, and the core where a once detached little boy now knows his mommy's heart just by the slump of her shoulders.  This mommy is THE luckiest mommy ever.
  • One night Chad tucked Joshua into bed.  Now when mommy tucks him in we read a book all snuggled up, say prayers, and sing our good night song.  It is sweet, snugly, and one of my favorite activities of the day.  When Daddy tucks him in, it is a tickle fest!!!  They laugh, wrestle and tickle like crazy!  In fact there was so much tickling and giggling that Joshua told Chad, "Daddy!  Daddy!  You tickle me so much, I laugh so hard that my eyes are dripping."