"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Reasons I Love Living in the Country: Geese

I grew up living in the country.  When I moved out, I vowed to NEVER live out of town again.

You see, while I loved having horses and riding horses, I did not love the inconvenience of living miles from work, school, gas, groceries, etc...  I felt like I spent as much time inventing things to do between activities while in high school as I spent at activities.  It does not make sense to drive home if you will need to leave again in less than an hour, so I spent much time at the library, mall, and doing homework in parking lots during my high school years.

Going to college, I LOVED living on campus.  Even after Chad and I had Krissy, I refused to move out of our teeny, tiny, one-bedroom campus apartment.  Being so close to my classes and the library was something I adored.

When we built our first home I insisted it was within walking distance of a school.  I do not love being  a taxi mom,  so being within walking distance of the school fit my needs nicely!  Last school year I was totally spoiled.  Krissy drove herself to school.  Jamison and Sierra walked.  Brenna rode the bus.  The only child I had to transport was Joshua.  I loved it.

Fast forward one year and we are living in the country.  Have I mentioned how much I love my husband?  (sigh)  And I am a taxi mom to the max.

Every morning I drop Krissy at CHS (we have asked her not to drive this winter), Jay and Sierra at HMS, Joshua at Montessori, and Brenna at Northridge before I go to work.  At 12:30 I have to pick up Joshua.  We then either head to one of my offices or home for a bit.  After school we pick up Brenna at Northridge, Sierra and Jay at HMS, drive Jay to CHS for practice, pick up Krissy and head home (unless Brenna has an activity after school.)  Chad picks up Jay from practice on his way home from work.  On days Krissy works we head back into town at 10 to bring her home.  And like all families, we are constantly running to one activity or another in the evenings.

This is HARD for me.  I am a homebody and all the yo-yoing causes me to feel rushed and unsettled all the time.  While I rest in the FACT that next year will not be as crazy as this year,  (Next year Krissy and Jay will drive together to CHS.  Sierra will ride the bus to HMS.  Brenna will ride the bus to her new elementary school.  So, only Joshua will ride with me!) I have also decided I need to work at appreciating our location even though it is not my first choice!

As in other areas, I wish to choose gratitude rather than grumbling, so I have decided to document some of the things I love about living in the country rather than focusing only on how annoying all of the driving is to me. 

My very favorite thing about our current location is watching thousands of geese fly from the field where they feed during the day over our house to the water each evening.  They are truly glorious, and I find myself looking forward to watching them each and every evening.


 
 
 
 
I am grateful for the predictability, beauty, and tranquility God's geese provide in my life this winter