"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Momma's Staycation 2015

I had an amazing week at the lake.

My lesson this week was WAIT FOR IT and ENJOY! WHILE YOU WAIT.  I had expected much better weather than I received.  Many days were too windy to really enjoy the water - but that did not mean the day was a waste or a disappointment.  Rather, we chose, during those windy moments, to be creative and choose to have fun despite the weather.  We watched movies, had silly scavenger hunts, played washers, picked wildflowers (aka weeds), drove to visit Krissy and Wyatt, etc...  and without fail, we did have fun.  

Hidden within a lot of wind, were the most beautiful weather moments of my summer.  When we waited patiently, eventually the winds calmed.  It became still and glorious.  We had some of the MOST beautiful sunsets on the water.  We had perfect campfires.  We had long chats, delicious breakfasts, unrushed devotions, and much rest.  Lake living was such a metaphor for all of life.  Moments are hard.  The wind blows out of control.  The storms are unexpected, disappointing, disheartening - BUT, they end.  He carries us through.  And the beauty after the storm is beyond anything we could have expected or planned on our own.

After a week at the lake, I am feeling so alive and rested.  I am also feeling accomplished and independent.  I learned how to do many things by myself this week.  I can run the generators.  I can load and unload the jetski.  I can grill anything.  Jamison and I even got the big boat in the water all by ourselves this week.  While I love the way Chad cares for me and so many details all the time, it was a great adventure doing things on my own.

In fact so great that I am hoping to sneak in another lake week before school begins!

Here is a sneak peak at my staycation:

 Mataya Hope-y Girl has gone from afraid while camping to fearless.  She now LOVES the water!





 One evening these 3 ended up "tripletting" at the campfire.
(They all are wearing essentially the same outfit.)
 I love this shot.
Jamison is always making us laugh.
17, 12, 15
 Brenna learned to get up on the wake board!
Go Brenna!!  Jay was a great teacher, and Sierra did a super job driving the jetski!
 Many evenings after dinner Jamison wakeboarded until dark.  It is such an amazing time to be on the water, when all is still and the sun is setting.

 BUT - notice the storm clouds in the distance...
 We ended up getting off the water and getting all our gear out and stowed just as the rain and winds started.  I am always amazed at what we can do when we all work together.
Crummy weather outside means popcorn and movies inside! 


The only place I love running more is at the ocean. . .
 One horrifically windy day, we went for a walk and gathered a wildflower bouquet.
Weeds?!?
And we went to visit Krissy and Wyatt.
We explored the tiny town they call home, and snacked on Root Beer floats at their apartment.
 My campfire and coffee view... what is it about water that is so soothing?
 Brenna has completed boater's safety course, so she is now licensed to drive the jetski!  She was thrilled!
 Mataya was not too sure about the frogs - but Hunter (Sierra's boyfriend) patiently showed them to her.
 Throwing stones
 Notice the red dot on her nose?  She and I painted our toe nails.  She insisted on blowing hers to dry them... and as you can see she got a bit too close!  

 Water is the ultimate entertainment.  The kids played tag, jumped the waves, took "showers," swam, tubed, boarded, floated, etc. . . for hours and hours of fun.
 This is my DAD!  He stopped out one afternoon to try the jetski.  Although I am sure he won't be trading in his reining horses, he DID seem to enjoy himself!
BAD picture - but it was a special afternoon that the girls and I had together, just hanging!
I just ADORE this picture.

Watching these sisters play "1-2-3 WHEEEE!" will linger in my mind's eye always.  They were just so beautiful together.  I am often jealous when I watch them.  I always wanted a sister.  I am so thankful that God gave my girls sisters, and that my girls let me tag along.  They are just so incredibly precious to me.

 We (rather Jamison) tried something new this weekend. . . surfing!
 He is so sinkin' strong and athletic that he makes everything look easy.  Someday, I might try surfing though.  It is supposed to be much more gentle than wakeboarding.  
Mataya decided she wanted a tube ride!  She loved it. . . or at least she found it very relaxing.  She fell asleep as we were gently pulled around the lake. 


Books cure any problem in Mataya's universe.

After an absolutely perfectly perfect Saturday, this morning the winds came back up.  So we packed up for the inevitable trip home.  Even after more than a week away, I could have stayed longer.  Someday, God-willing, I will live on a lake.  But until then, I will LOVE the home I have and the people in it.  Where my family is my heart is happy.