"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Video and a new picture!

It has been so exciting this week to receive some updates on Joshua G. from traveling families. I have received a video of him and a new picture. It is so reassuring, exciting, and just FUN to get these gifts! Unfortunately I can not share them with you, so you will have to be satisfied with my description!

The more information we receive about Joshua, the younger we suspect he is. I know that may seem weird or dishonest even, but with the lack of birth records it is not uncommon for ages to be in question. The mother that saw him this week said she would guess 1 to 1.5. Based on the tiny bit of video I saw of him I would agree. He has very much of a baby look vs. the leaner look of a toddler. He is not real steady on his feet and seemed much more confident holding onto something than walking by himself.

He is wearing a size 2T - and might I add that he looked very cute in the pink pants he was modeling! He has pudgy cheeks and a little potbelly, for an Ethiopian in the care center he is a tank, however by our standards he just looks healthy. HEALTHY and HEAVY have become some of my favorite words.

In the video Joshua G. had a very tight grip on a candy necklace. The momma taking the video said he made very sure no one took it from him. Another little boy tried, without success! She also said that he kind of gets the run of his area.

Another mom who was taking photos told me he was in most of her pictures because although he is not a great walker he somehow managed to beat her into each room. In the photo I received, Joshua G. looks quite annoyed that he is being held still in order to get his picture taken. We may have a very active boy on our hands!

I also learned today that in the next few weeks a mom who is a nurse will be traveling to pick up her child. She is bringing 2 other nurses with her. These ladies have a NICU and pediatric background! She and her friends have been given permission to take heights and weights of all the children that have been matched with families. They will also do some developmental assessing. They are not doctors and will not treat or make any type of diagnosis, but they will be spending some time charting on the kids. I am really excited about this! I am hopeful to have a better feel for Joshua G's age and condition based on an American/English speaking mom/nurse's assessment. At this point I am not sure if he is younger than we think or has some motor delays or both. I am very peaceful, and while I do not hope that we have big delays to overcome once we get him home, I have always been aware of the possibility. It will be very exciting to get their take on things!

I must confess that writing all this tonight is just what I needed. Coming home from vacation has been hard and I was feeling pretty overwhelmed. Getting caught up on things is a lot of work but I have been most aware of the amount of emotional energy that relationships require. I was feeling worn out, cranky, tired, and uninspired. As I write about the time and energy other moms have and are extending to get me information about my little guy I am filled with gratitude. I am also inspired! I am so thankful for the time these amazing women took to sort through video footage and photos to get me clips of my son. I can not imagine how tired they are after their trip, how overwhelmed with getting everyone settled and laundry done - and they took the time to send another momma a precious gift. So I guess I better drop the tired and love on my family!

**Did you see Krissy only has $851 left in order to pay for her plane ticket?!?