"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Joshua's Announcement

I finally made and mailed Joshua's "birth" announcements. With my first four kids, I had the announcements addressed and in my labor bag. They were in the mail before I left the hospital. I was not as speedy this time! Or as organized, so if you did not get one - please give me lots of grace! I would love it if you would email me with your address if you were left out. I quickly went through my address book and so if you have moved or I forgot to get you in my book the last time I sent out Christmas cards, you were probably neglected. Sorry!



Anyway all disclaimers aside, here it is:





I chose to use the verse from Philippians 1:6 on his announcement, and I am betting a few people are wondering why I chose that verse.


The first time (in this process anyway) that the words of Philippians 1:6 "He who began this good work in you will be faithful to complete it" were whispered into my heart they brought a great sense of comfort. I loved resting in the fact that God was in control and He would complete His work in His time. It was like a hug from above.


I clung to those words all throughout our wait, then one day I looked up the WHOLE passage and I did not so much like what I read. You see the whole verse says, "I am confident that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."


I confess I did not like the "until the day of Christ Jesus" part. I wanted completion of this work to be Joshua getting home - NOT the day he went to his heavenly home. I wanted Joshua to get home and everything to be peaceful and easy. I wanted a time of rest and rejoicing.


Bringing Joshua home has been filled with much rejoicing. He is absolutely a gift, a treasure that God has chosen to bless us with, and we are humbled and grateful. But it has not been peaceful or easy or restful! (It in this case means ALL of life - not just Joshua's homecoming. If the only thing I would have needed to focus on these past week's would have been Joshua coming home "it" would have been much less difficult!) I am unable to explain how difficult it has been or how wonderful - never have I had a greater mix of the two all in one serving!


However, I have come to LOVE the words "until the day of Christ Jesus." I am so thankful that God has many, many good works planned for each of our lives. I am so grateful that He is walking with us NOT just through adoption paperwork, but through every step of our lives. I may think I need a little rest, but God knows me better. He knows how best to prepare me for whatever comes next. He has a greater plan for myself and my family than I could ever imagine. And He, who created each of us, will carry us through each and every path to complete each and every good work He has planned for us until He calls us home.


So I have come to treasure those words in Philippians 1:6 and I do trust "that He who began this good work WILL BE faithful to complete it."


(and won't it be exciting to see what good work He has planned for each of us?)