"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Melt my heart!

The past two posts have perhaps seemed really gloomy. In reality my ability to reflect on how hard things were is the result of things getting so much easier. Joshua feels so much more solid emotionally each day. To use a dating analogy, I feel like we have committed to "going steady." I no longer feel like he is waiting for me to screw up and fail him. He is no longer trying to find a reason to dump me. He is beginning to truly risk, to let down his guard, to fall in fully love. Our relationship still needs lots of extra tender care, but it has "gone to the next level."


I had more fun with my camera today. Here are some glimpses of my boy.


His response to, "smile!"

Brenna spent the weekend with Auntie Teresa and Uncle Jeremy. She had WAY too much fun. Auntie Teresa and Brenna gave Joshua this backhoe when we picked up Brenna today. Joshua liked it right away, but always has to examine things before his excitement peaks. He said thank you when prompted, but after we climbed into my Expedition and the coolness of his new toy settled in he said, "Auntie Teresa MORE thank you." So he called Auntie Teresa to thank her. Wish we had that conversation on tape... he was quite proud of himself!

His new backhoe played in the sand with him when we got home. It also took a bath! It is "sleeping" on Joshua's dresser so it will be ready to play more in the morning.

Brenna... she puts up with my camera for a little bit. The older kids - not so much. So, I do not purposely exclude their pictures, they just refuse!

Joshua taking a quick cuddle break mid-play.

Does he not have the most intense eyes?




Guess who stole my iced tea? A very smug Joshua Gebeyehu! He does not like soda, which I am thankful for because milk is healthiest item he gets when we eat out... but he did like my iced tea.


I saw the proof of BIG progress in a couple situations we encountered this weekend. First we attended a 50th Anniv. party for the parents of our dear friends. It was the first big social event we have brought Joshua to. (We have been to church twice, but have snuck in late and left early to limit the social interaction.) I was not sure how Joshua would do, but the night was a total success. One thing that helped was that many of the people there did not know us, so though there were quite a few people there many did not visit with us. Secondly, I have to truly thank each person who was there! You all were so sensitive to Joshua. What a blessing!

When we first came in we chose a spot in the back and Joshua was nervous. He cuddled up and sucked his thumb and played mah tah mah tah a lot. Friends came by one or two at a time to visit with us and left space for him to recoup in between. As he relaxed we moved to the empty dance floor and he and Sierra played while Chad and I visited. Eventually he was on the dance floor with Sierra plus many others, dancing up a toddler storm. He had a blast. He also did a super job of keeping track of where mom was at all times and coming to me if he needed anything. We got home late, but he went to bed well. Success all around.


The other HUGE moment came today. Joshua woke up from his nap and instead of crying for me fearfully, he called, "Momma Joshua all done mah tah mah tah." YEAH!!!!!!! I told him I was so proud of him and what a big boy he was as we snuggled and he finished waking up. He responded, "Joshua good boy. Joshua no big! Joshua momma baby."


MELT MY HEART!


Thank you God for all the progress we see and feel. Thank you that Joshua is allowing me into his heart more each day. Thank you for blessing me with this sweet, sensitive son.