"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, February 13, 2012

Is This God Talking?

I am a very black and white person.  I thrive on facts, knowledge, and logic.

Which also means that I often struggle to "hear" God.

God rarely calls us to do what comes easily and naturally.  He rarely (maybe even never) speaks to us audibly.

So, how in the world, can I discern if an idea is "of God" or simply craziness?

Lysa TerKeurst, in her book What Happens When Women Say YES to God has designed 5 questions to sort through our thoughts/dreams/ideas/aspirations/emotional reactions to discover which are the plans God has for us.  I personally LOVE these because they provide a "system" of discernment.  (Yes.  I DO thrive on structure!)

  • Does what I am hearing line up with scripture?
    • Romans 12:2 says "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing, and perfect will."
    • For me there are 2 really important concepts in that verse.  One is to remove what "the world" would have me do or expect me to do from what I expect myself to do.  I all too often limit my actions because of what others may think or how they may respond.  The other talks about being able to test and approve what God's will is.  In order to do that I must know what His word (the Bible) says!  I am often amazed at how a passage of scripture I have read many times can take on a completely new meaning.  God continues to teach me and grow me, even when I think I have "mastered" a passage of scripture.
  • Is what I am hearing consistent with God's character?
    • Lysa uses Galatians 5:22-23 as a glimpse into God's character.  That passage says, "But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  Against such things there is no law." 
    • When we know what God's character is, we know He will never ask us to act or react in a way that is contrary to His character.  God will never tell us to speak mean or ugly words, even to someone who "deserves" them.  He WILL call us to love more deeply than we can imagine possible, to have peace in the midst of chaos, and to be kind to someone who has hurt us.
  • Is what I am hearing being confirmed through other messages?
    • Lysa singles our the words from Isaiah 30:21-22 here. "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, "This is the way, walk in it." Then you will desecrate your idols overlaid with silver and your images covered with gold; you will throw them away like a menstrual cloth and say to them, "Go away with you."
    • I love this passage because it tells me that if I really, really listen - God will show me the way to go.  And when I am in the center of His will, all that "worldly stuff" will not sway me.  It will be meaningless, as repulsive as a menstrual cloth.
    • Lysa also speaks here about how when God wants us to do something, He keeps repeating the message over and over and over.  You may read about it in the newspaper, your Pastor will preach about it, the song on the radio speaks of it, your BFF calls and tells you something related, etc...  I have a friend that says she does not believe in co-incidences ONLY God-incidences.  I think she is onto something!
  • Is what I am hearing beyond me?
    • 1 Thessalonians 5:24 says, "The one who calls you is faithful, and He will do it."
    • What you want to read here is that if what you are feeling called to do is beyond you then it is SURELY NOT OF GOD, right?!?  WRONG!!!!!  God calls us to do things that are totally, utterly, completely beyond us so that when we succeed GOD will receive all the glory!
  • Would what I am hearing please God?
    • "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ." Philippians 1:9-10
    • Bottom line. . . if what you are considering would please God, DO IT and GOD WILL BE PLEASED!
Dontcha love it?

Me too!

I will admit that these five questions do not turn "grey situations" into sharp "black and whites."  However, for me, this bit of structure help bring unclear situations into focus.