"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Construction Update - Sheetrock, Taping, and 2 Copper Roofs

It was a much better week.
Much better!

 All of the siding is in place - on part of the garage anyway!
I am thrilled with how it is coming together.

 Last night Chad and I had a hot date.
We worked on metal roofing - all by ourselves.
(Being alone with Chad is all it takes for me to call something a date these days.)

I actually loved metal roofing.
It was SO fun to watch the roof go from ugly ice and water shield to pretty!

As an added bonus, my honey took me for a ride in the lift.
It goes up 40 feet.

Yep, we know romance!
 Chad does not do much residential work as a part of his business.
He does do a lot of metal work.
So, I was truly excited to help him install a standing seam  metal roof on 2 areas of our new home.
Now I will have a slightly better idea what he talks about during roofing conversations.
(Pictured above, Chad is cutting the sheeting to length.)
 The trim goes on before the sheeting.
Chad designs and bends each piece of trim in his shop.
 He pays careful attention to make sure each piece is cut to fit the exact area it will be placed into.
 Jamison helped us today.

He was not stronger than me when the summer began.
He IS now!
 While Jamison is not passionate about construction, he is becoming a GREAT help.
I SO appreciate and respect that although construction is not his passion, he always helps willingly and works hard!
 One view of the finished family room roof.
 The family room roof from up above (in the lift.)
 The super cute front porch roof.

I do love it!
I can hardly wait to sit on a chair and watch Jay shoot hoops and Joshua ride bike from that very vantage point.

Also accomplished this week:
 The sheetrock is hung in the entire house.
The 'rockers return Monday to finish in the garage.

Sheetrock makes me really, really, really, really happy!
It gives rooms dimension.
It also gives me HOPE that this ALL will end at some point.
 Most of the house has had the first coat of mud applied.
AKA taping has begun.
In order to cover the seams and screws necessary to hang sheetrock to the walls, mud is applied by tapers.  Chad is beyond thrilled with the crew that he hired to tape out home.  It is really rare for him to be totally impressed by anyone in construction.  He works in construction every day, and he has great respect for many other contractors.  However, he is rarely surprised by the skill of other workers.  I am so thrilled to say, he is thrilled with the tapers.

We expect all sheetrock and all taping and texturing to be done this week.
I truly think I will be painting next weekend!

That is really good news!

The bad news is. . . I think it will be 6 more weeks until we are living in the new house.
Living in campers has gone really well.
So many people have helped with kids, meals, and laundry.
We have all we need.

But it is still hard.

I miss privacy.
I miss a comfy couch.
I miss long showers.
I miss a dishwasher, and an oven, and an ice maker, and a full size fridge.
I miss TV - especially with the Olympics going on.
I miss my dryer.
I miss. . .

I just get really homesick some days.

So know that we are doing OK.
AND continue to pray for us.

4 weeks down.
6 weeks (hopefully not more) to go.