"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, July 13, 2012

Freaky Fridays

Typically I look forward to Friday.

I have the day off, so it is supposed to be a catch-up day.  I plan on buying groceries, doing laundry, and getting ready to work hard on the house all weekend long.

But the last two Fridays have left much to be desired!
 I had known in advance that today would not be a relaxing Friday.  I had to work at both jobs.  I had a work related meeting scheduled.  I was also planning on meeting Chad and choosing counter top and the glass for our kitchen cabinets, buying groceries, and working some on the house.

The morning started as planned.  I got payroll completed.  I got several errands taken care of for my church job.  I got to my business meeting.

And then Chad's mom called.

You know how you know that something is wrong.

Something was wrong.

Brenna had been allowed to ride a mini motorcycle.  It did not go well.  She wiped out, and her collar bone was swelling.  Grammy thought we should have it checked.

So off to the ER I went.

My mom works in radiology at the hospital, so I called her to warn her her granddaughter was on the way there.  She met me at the door.  I was so thankful!  I learned today that the only thing worse than having your child get hurt, is not being with your hurt child.

We got her right into x-ray.

Her clavicle was clearly broken.  Broken enough to make the ER doc say "oooooh."

So, a shot of morphine followed.  Then a sling.  Then an afternoon on the couch making sure ice stays in place and meds are promptly given.

She has been brave.

But she hurts.

She sits as still as a statue, asking for help for the simplest of movements.

I hate when my kids hurt.  My own pain, I tolerate well.  Their pain gives me a stomach ache.

Last Friday was freakily similar.

Joshua had been struggling with a tooth ache for a few days.  Because of the fourth of July holiday, I could not find a dentist to see him.  By Thursday afternoon his pain was terrible.  I called my dentist at home and he prescribed pain meds and an antibiotic over phone.  "That would fix it."

Friday morning he woke up ridiculously swollen and very uncomfortable.

Throughout the day he got a bit better and eventually played some.

But by Sunday morning the swelling was increasing instead of decreasing; so, long story short, we got the correct antibiotic, dosed for a child Joshua's size on Sunday morning through the walk-in clinic.

This coming Monday, we will finally see a dentist.


I am (fortunately) not used to sick or injured children.  And having sick/injured kids in our tiny space is challenging.  Also challenging is NEEDING to help Chad work on the house AND also NEEDING to sit on the couch next to my baby.  

Yet both of these experiences have made me realize once again how very fortunate I am.  I have access to medical care.  I am able to pay for the medicine my children need in order to feel better.  I can not imagine living somewhere where medical treatment was not available - or having medicine be a financial impossibility. 

Truly, I CAN NOT IMAGINE. 

When one of my kids says "OW"! I do everything in my power to fix it.

So do third world mommas.

But third world mommas often have nothing to offer but prayers and snuggles.

In Ethiopia, Joshua's tooth infection could have killed him.  It happened all the time.
Dead because of a rotten tooth.

And the thought of Brenna's collar bone without morphine, ibuprofen, ice and prescription pain killers brings tears to my eyes as well.  It may not kill her, but the pain would be so terrible.

So though I am tired of trauma, tired of setting my alarm so kids get meds on time, tired of trying to decide between rocking my child or helping my husband - I am thankful.  Thankful for ice.  Thankful for antibiotics.  Thankful for pain meds.  Thankful for medical workers.  Thankful for friends that answer my questions.  Thankful that though my children have been ill/hurt they are OK and I am able to provide for each of their needs.

Please pray for Joshua's dentist appointment on Monday.  He has come a loooooong way, but medical is still scary to him.

Also pray for Brenna.  It is going to be a bummer of a summer with a splinted arm.  Pray for quick healing and managed pain.

Pray for Chad.  We have a boatload of work to get done on the house this HOT weekend, and it looks like he will be 1.5 crew members short!

Lastly, pray a bubble of protection over our family.  NO MORE injuries!  NO MORE sickness!