"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Is the Lord's Arm too Short?


Sometimes when I am reading scripture one single verse - or even just a couple of words - bring me to a screeching halt.  I will be reading right along and BAM! God speaks.  And when He really decides to get my attention, He continues to whisper those same words into my heart and mind continually for days, and weeks, and sometimes even months.

Most recently it has been these words from Numbers 11:23 that have been on a continuous loop in my brain.  "Is the Lord's arm too short?"

Biblically, this question comes right out of God's mouth.  It is spoken to Moses who is worrying about God providing for him.

The funny thing is that as Moses is worrying and whining to God, he has been living miracle after miracle after miracle.  Moses heard the audible voice of God.  Moses witnessed the plagues of Israel.  Moses saw God part the Red Sea.  Moses was lead through the dessert by the God - through a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.  Moses lived off of  manna that God provided daily. Etc, Etc, Etc. . .

If anyone should KNOW that God has it covered, it should have been Moses.

And still he doubted.  He worried.  He feared.

Just like me.

I have seen God meet my needs, direct my path, change my heart, open my eyes, and show me the way COUNTLESS times. 

And still I doubt.  I worry.  I fear.

I sin.

We all do.

God has been using His question, "Is the Lord's arm too short?" to redirect my thoughts.  When I am tempted to question, doubt, wonder, worry, second guess, or otherwise borrow trouble - this simple question serves as a reminder that I am overstepping! 

NO!  The Lord's arm is NOT too short!  Of that I am positive.  It even embarrasses me to realize my own lack of faith sometimes!  I can totally feel the pain and frustration and embarrassment that Moses may have felt when God asked him this very same question, as I have been feeling it often lately!

Thankfully, I serve a God that does not want my embarrassment or shame.  I serve a God who uses His word only to redirect me - to gently guide and correct me.  When I hear this question echo in my very soul, it is not filled with condemnation.  It is filled with love and grace.

And it is changing my thought process.

When I start to grasp for control (because when it comes down to it the reason I doubt or worry or question is because I want to be in control, rather than allowing God to be) this simple question helps me to exhale, to release my grip, and to let God be God.

"Is the Lord's arm too short?"

Six simple words that are changing my life.

(These six simple words are changing my life right now because I, like Moses, can look back into my life story and see many times in which God has been faithful.  He has provided much evidence of His trustworthiness throughout both scripture I have read and life I have lived.  If this whole post sounds like a bunch of bologna, I encourage you to start reading scripture and as you do to ask God to reveal to you how He has been present in your life.  Even in those moments we are totally unaware, He is near.)