"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, April 29, 2013

Created For. . .

(Joshua and the grader)

Last week one of Chad's long term dreams came true.  He was able to purchase a motor grader!  Now to most of us a big, ugly, yellow motor grader is not too dreamy - but to Chad it is the bomb!

Ever since he was a tiny tot, he has adored equipment.  He spent hours and hours and hours as a kid playing with toy skidders, tractors, and loaders.  He examined them carefully, learning just why they were built they way they were.

An absolute passion for equipment is just part of who he is, which makes the blessing of a big, yellow grader so special.

Seeing Chad so pumped about this big hunk of metal has made me realize that sometimes who we are is who we are.  Sometimes when we look back, we realize that God has seemingly placed certain passions in our very DNA.  Some interests develop over time and others seem to be just a part of how we are created.

My passion has never been equipment, but there is one deep rooted love that makes me, me.  The one passion I have always had is for mothering.

As a little person, I mothered my dolls.  As I grew older and more capable my mothering changed.  I held every baby I could.  I delighted in making toddlers giggle.  I loved teaching toddlers.  I enjoyed helping school age children feel capable and noticed.  I adored listening to and advising middle schoolers.  I went to college to be a teacher - because there is not a major which gets any closer to mother than that!

That passion continues to this day.  Being a mom brings me more joy and satisfaction that anything else.  No matter the age our kids have been, I have delighted in caring for them, in nurturing them, in encouraging them.  The most frustrating part of my existence is that there are sometimes things (like work) that force me to focus on something other than my family.

I am so thankful that God creates us with passions.  As I look back over my life story, I am humbled at how often God has blessed me by calling me to tough service - but at the same time allowing that tough service to be within the areas I am most passionate by nature.  Many things I doubt in life, many things I fight, many things I complain about  - but you will never hear me complain about mothering.  Mothering is absolutely, positively, what I was created to do.

It makes me wonder, what were your created to do?  What passion were you born with and how are you using it for God's glory?

(Mothering is not the only thing I was created to do.  I was not created to be a mother for my glory, but for God's glory.  May He be glorified in all that I do.  I am so very thankful for the deep rooted passion God has placed in my heart for children.  I am curious to see how He continues to use that passion for His glory in the coming years as my children grow.  One will fly the coop soon, you know!)