"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, April 15, 2013

One Dreamy April Snow Storm

As this weekend began the forecast was ominous.
Snow and LOTS of it was headed our way!
 
I decided we should have a "pretend it is summer" party since we were really more in the mood for a campfire than turning on the fireplace!
 I made the kids oven s'mores.
 YUM!
 Brenna agreed!
 
That was Friday night.
We spent all day Saturday waiting for snow.
It did not come.
I really wondered if it really would.
 
(Sometimes I am an optimist!)
 By the end of Sunday there was no doubt.
Snow had fallen all day.
In the end, it was a record snow fall.  Almost 24 inches fell in one day.  That is the highest one day snow fall total on record for Bismarck.  It became so stormy that Chad was forced to remain HOME, rather than continue to push snow.  So, Chad and I were snowed in with all the kids.  It was about as dreamy as my life gets.  School was even called off for today (Monday!)  That has only happened one time since Krissy started Kindergarten!  I was so very thrilled!
 
However, by evening my snow removing husband was itching to push some piles.  But he was stuck.  The snow in our development was too deep to push his way out, even with his pick-up plow.  He got up at 4 am, hoping he would be able to make it into town.  He got barely one pickup length into the road and knew if he continued he would soon be stuck.  So he waited more.  He paced the floors.  He took calls from customers.  He gave directions to the employees that were able to get to the machines and start cleaning up the snowy mess.  I finally told him to hit the road!  If he got stuck, Jay and I would help him dig out - but his pacing was "ruining" my day off!  (HA!)
 
So he took off, driving like an 18 year old on his way to meet his girlfriend! (Now that is a good memory, right babe!)  The kids and I ran from window to window cheering him on until he made it out of the neighborhood!  Then Joshua insisted we call and tell him, "Gradulations!"
 
As soon as Daddy was safely off to work, Jamison, Joshua, Brenna, and I headed out to play!
 I loved today.
 
You see, usually when we have a big snow storm I feel very conflicted.  On one hand, I should be shoveling.  The neighbors may need to walk on our sidewalk, so I should get to work clearing it.  On the other hand, my husband has thousands of dollars worth of snow removal equipment.  For me to shovel is silly!  Plus - I HATE shoveling snow! But what will the neighbors think of our snow being the last done, especially since the kids needed to use our sidewalk to get to school.
 
Today there was nothing to be conflicted about!
 
Today for the very first time, I was THRILLED to live in the country! 
 
We have NO sidewalk to shovel!
 
Sure, there is a path I could have cleared to our front door, but I didn't want to!  And it will not affect anyone but me if there is a big snow drift in front of my front door.  So, I headed outside totally joyfully to play in the snow with my kids!


 Riley was SO happy to get some playful exercise!



 Jamison always comes up with some physical "trick."
 
He decided to try somersaulting off the snow pile.


 We gave him a "10!"
 Jamison started throwing snowballs for Riley to catch.  Riley thought it was great fun until he caught one.  Oh, my! We laughedand laughed at the look on his face when he snapped into a soft ball of snow!
 Jamison is truly THE BEST big brother ever.
 
I was worried when they started a snowball fight, sure Brenna would come inside injured.  Jay is way bigger, and it takes great self-control to throw carefully.
 
In the end there were no tears, only lots of laughs.
One of my winter wishes came true today!
Joshua, after being a North Dakotan for nearly 3 years, has finally made a snowman!
The kids also made a snow fort!
 
All in all, it was my favorite blizzard of all times.  There is lots and lots of snow - but I did not need to shovel AT ALL.  Chad got stuck at home with us through part of it.  We had an extra day of vacation because the roads were impassible today. It was warm, so the kids could play in the deep drifts.  Best of all, it is April, so all this white stuff will be gone before we know it!
 
I am so thankful for this April snow adventure!
 
One more funny snow story I have to share.
 
Jamison received a text from his track coach instructing him to figure out a way to get in a recovery run.  He complained about having to use the treadmill on FaceBook and a  team mate called him a wimp for not running outside.  He came down in his running shorts, shoes, and NO shirt instructing me to take some photos of him running outside.  Being the good mom that I am, I said "SURE!"
 
He ran out the front door, through thigh high snow, down the driveway, past the mailbox, and back.  I snapped photos and laughed the entire time.
 
If I had known how much fun I would have with my teenagers, I never would have believed it!  People always complain about teens.  Not me!  I love my teenagers!  They are a total blast!
 
**In light of the tragedy that happened today in Boston, I feel a bit bad celebrating a delightful weekend here.  My prayers are with all those involved in that tragedy.  Yet to deny joy would not be fully living.  So I share my joy, while mourning the tragedy in Boston.