"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ethiopian Cuisine


I have been trying to learn everything I can about Ethiopia. So let me fill you in on what I have learned about traditional Ethiopian food.

The hottest, most peppery food in all of Africa is found in Ethiopia. This blend of 15 or more spices including red pepper is called Ber-beri or Awaze. I read it can be overwhelming to foreigners, but if you cut down on the pepper the food can be exciting and interesting.

Ethiopians do not eat pork or shellfish for religious regions. (The predominant religion is Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity. The Islam and Jewish faiths are also practiced.)

An elaborate hand washing ceremony takes place the beginning and ending of the meal.

The Ethiopian table is covered with a what looks like a gray cloth overlapping the edges of a huge tray. This is not a tablecloth at all but actually injera. Injera is a sourdough pancake -like bread made of tef flour. Bowls and utensil are not used. Instead your portion of food is placed on the injera in front of you. You then tear off a piece of injera, scoop a portion of food onto the piece, roll it all up, and pop it into your mouth.
Stews or wat are the most common main courses. Wat may be made from chicken (doro wat), lamb (sega wat), and goat. On fast days when meat is not eaten, wat is made from lentils, chick peas, and peanuts. Stews have a characteristic dark color from the Ber-beri, Ethiopian red pepper which is used in each recipe. Hard boiled eggs are commonly served as well. Iab is another common dish. It is a cottage cheese/yogurt mixture with special herbs to give it an acidic lemon flavor. Kifto, a seasoned, ground raw beef is considered dessert.
Beverages include Tej, an amber colored honey wine, Tella, homemade beer, and/or a weakly carbonated water. Coffee comes in on a tray in tiny Japanese cups served black with sugar after the meal.
Dabo Kolo, are tiny, fried, snack-like cookies that are popular in Ethiopia. Even the cookies appear to be spicy. The recipe I found has flour, salt, sugar, cayenne pepper, and oil.
It all sounds totally foreign to me, more like a book report than something I may experience. I had considered having an Ethiopian themed meal at my home, but I am sure it would not be well received. The description of Kifto about did my family in! BUT imagine how totally his new home will be for Joshua. I am interested in how other adoptive families incorporate some familiar tastes into their menu, more research awaits!