"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sometimes, it's all about the small stuff!

Some little signs that we've made a good decision.

1. Brenna told her doctor today that she has three brothers. Jamison, Joshua, and Riley (our dog).

2. When asked if he was excited about the adoption by our home study agent Jamison said with a double dimple grin, "Yeah! I'm really excited!" (In some ways I have worried about Jay and Brenna most in this transition. Jamison because he has been the only boy. Brenna because Joshua will replace her spot as our baby. I know it will restack the deck for all the kids, but I feel especially maybe more so for Jay and Brenna. It makes me happy to see them doing so well.)

3. Our pediatrician could not have been more enthusiastic about our decision. He told us that in his experience children from Ethiopia do really well. Their health status is honestly revealed. The Ethiopian people are very affectionate, hugging and kissing their children often. Even in the orphanage children are held and hugged frequently. One of his patients is a little girl that just came home last summer (she was adopted from the same orphanage that Joshua will come from), he called her totally awesome. When she comes in we all get huge hugs. He said he will be happy to look through a referral when we get it. He told me in moments I wonder if I can do enough or am the right person to raise Joshua to remember that anything I can do will be so much more than he would have received in his home country. I respect this doctor so much. I was a little nervous to visit with him today, because his disapproval would have been hard to take. His enthusiasm was much appreciated!

4. On a daily basis I hear one of the kids say "When Joshua comes home what do you think Riley will think." or "Do you think our cousins should be able to carry him?" or "Do you think Joshua will like our food?" It excited me that they are starting to include thoughts of him in their plans for the future.