"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, April 4, 2011

Hyper-Sensitive Hearing

Do you remember playing hide-and-seek? Remember how every every sound became SO LOUD as you were trying to be SO quiet? Remember how noisy the beating of your heart became? Remember hearing each and every breath you made so clearly? Remember how you noticed the noise of the refrigerator running in another room or the furnace kicking in?

Because I have lived a very safe and secure life, the best example of have of heightened senses is hide-and seek. Perhaps you are a hunter and have felt those same connection with the sounds around you while stalking your prey. Or maybe you have been in a truly dangerous situation and have experienced those hyper-sensitive senses in the most true form.

That would be the case of our Joshua. When he first arrived home his hearing was UNBELIEVABLE! There was not a noise he did not hear. He would hear the vibration of a cellphone in the midst of playing with his siblings while the TV was on. He would hear Grandpa's spurs in the midst of being carried on my hip through a noisy horse show while daddy and grandpa talked and horses whinnied. He would hear me whisper something about the nannies in Ethiopia while he was in another room playing with friends. It was INTENSE!

I became so used to him asking about each and every noise that I learned to hear like him. I knew that often "what's that?" was asked about a noise instead of an object. People would remark about his incredible hearing. They would think it "cute!" I heard many times, "How did he hear that? He is so remarkable. Such an observant child!"

Meanwhile my heart hurt. My heart hurt because, although I totally agree that he is totally remarkable, I knew that his remarkable hearing was the result of being "on guard." He had spent so much time being scared and taking care of himself that his ears were hyper-sensitive to any new noise. He NEEDED to know if it was a safe noise or a scary one. When I spoke of Ethiopia he could always hear it and he (almost always) ended up snuggled up in my lap sucking his thumb at the thought of being there again. Slowly new noises bacame less threatening and more curious, but they were still always noted.

Over the weekend I noticed he missed a few new noises! For example, the microphone at church squeaked a bit and he was too busy building with his blocks to ask what caused the squeal. That NEVER would have happened in the past!

It is a beautiful thing to see our son relax. It is a beautiful thing to see him trust. It is a beautiful thing to see him rest. It is a beautiful thing to see him oblivious to a detail. The "selective hearing" that drives me crazy will (for a short time) be endearing in Joshua Gebeyehu!

***This is a total change of subject, but just in case you need a chuckle this Monday, I have a silly story for you.

Joshua is NOT a TV kid. He spends almost no time watching TV at home. In my SUV though he enjoys it! He spends quite a bit of time buckled in driving the bigger kids places so his "reward" is an episode of Barney or Dora. Since I am driving, I can not see the screen and visit with him much about the show. This created a moment of confusion Saturday.

We were driving Saturday morning and Joshua asked me, "Mommy, why does Barney squeeze the cows penis?"

WHAT??? I could not have heard him correctly so I asked him to ask me again. "Why Barney squeezing cows penis?" This time he added a gesture to make sure I got it!

I responded that Barney does not squeeze a cows penis. Cows can go potty all by themselves.

He was puzzled. He told me, "But Mommy, Barney do that (squeeze gesture), have a bowl, water come out cow."

FINALLY Mommy got it! I quickly explained that it was not the cows penis but the cows udder and milk - like we drink- was coming out.

Oh, My! Sometimes I CAN NOT believe the crazy conversations I have had with my kids! They keep me on my toes and smiling that is for sure!